Am I missing something? Cosco Scenera Next in Ford Focus

macasa

I bought a Cosco Scenera Next recently as a spare carseat. I installed it in my 2012 Ford Focus using latch. I am good at car seat installations and get them super tight. No matter how tight I got the Scenera, if I push down on the foot/end of the car seat (closest to the vehicle seat back) it pushes down and then the car seat is loose and super vertical (way too vertical for a kid to be in, think like flipping/involuting).

Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that this seat is supposed to install without the use of noodles/towels under it once you're past the newborn stage and the child has head control. I didn't see any mention in the manual unless I missed it.

The other thing that I don't like is the way the crotch buckle interferes with the belt path (RF of course). I assume the belt is supposed to go in front of it but it still seems like it is in the way. I know it's a cheap seat and I do like it but I just worry about it being used incorrectly.

ADS

ntrenary

I use a Next when I watch my niece.It's the easiest seat to install in my Odyssey. I love it. I do have the sitting up problem when I install her Elite rear facing. every time I tighten the belt the Elite sits up more and more until it's completely upright, it drives me crazy! If I have to use that seat I get in the van and stand behind the seat and push it into the back seat cushion with my hips as I'm pushing the bottom of the car seat down with one hand and tightening the belt with the other, that usually works.
As for the belt path, I haven't noticed the crotch belt interfering with the belt path but it's only allowed in the position closest to the child when rear facing.

macasa

Thanks! That is good to know. I will try to get it tighter but I feel like it's a flaw .... the average parent is not going to install it nearly tight enough so that it isn't possible to push on it and involute it, especially since the standard is "less than an inch of movement". I am installing rock solid and it still does it.

MelodyoftheForest

I also use the method described above to install my NEXT. The crotch buckle cannot be in the outer-most position when installing RF. I am guessing that is why you are having interference. It should say this in your manual, too, but sometimes these things are easy to miss. In the closer (middle) slot the buckle webbing is coming from under my daughter, which is also not allowed in the manual, but I would rather have that misuse than have the crotch buckle pushed out of position by the lower anchor strap or seat belt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC