3 across honda accord - bubble bum for 5 yr old?

U

Unregistered

Hello-

I'm trying to get three across to work in my husband's car, which is an older (2006ish) Honda accord.

Children:
age 2 - riding RF behind passenger in a graco 4ever all-in-one convertible - installed with latch (I can't get a secure install on the leather seat with the seatbelt for this carseat, so I am losing an inch or so of seat width using latch to install it).
age 8 - riding in bubble bum with seat belt in middle seat (trying to make this fit - can't really buckle easily with current set up)
age 5 - riding in a Harmony Defender - installed with latch

Right now, I have the three seats all installed, and they fit, BUT my very skinny 8 year old can barely buckle the seatbelt and can barely fit as he is sandwiched between the two carseats (I can't actually tell if his back is fully against the seat, though he claims it is).

I am going to try to re-install the Harmony Defender with the seatbelt instead of the latch to see if it gives us an extra inch or so that we need.
IF this doesn't work, I am considering swapping the harmony defender with a bubble bum or a ride safer travel vest for 5 yr old. 5yr old son is 45in and 43lbs. Can he go in a bubble bum or should he still be in a 5 point? Are there other options I should consider? I have a RF Foonf, and 2 FF Radians in my car and really hope to not buy yet another expensive narrow seat. Thoughts?

ADS
U

Unregistered

I haven't tried a narrow seat in the place of that one, mostly because I want to keep him RF and don't want to buy another seat if I can avoid it.

U

Unregistered

I have the three narrow seats wedged in to my car to get three across. I can't swap out one of the narrows for the 4ever because the 4ever wont fit in my car. There isn't even a paper-width or room left to spare.
I am reluctant to put a booster in my car (in place of one of the radians) because we travel frequently in my car and I feel better with them all in 5 points.

lgenne

Or forward facing in a narrow seat, for that matter. You have 2 Radians and a Foonf. Any of those, rear facing or forward facing (assuming you can get a good forward facing install with a Radian, which I wouldn't necessarily count on) would be better than the 4Ever.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Have you tried a Defender or Graco Tranzitions/Wayz in place of a forward facing seat in your car? They're also quite narrow, and you have a Defender to try if you haven't. Then you could move a Tranzitions/Wayz or Defender in there and a Radian or Foonf into your car, only spend $100, and get everyone fitting in your car.

Is your five year old booster ready?

Wendy

lgenne

Oh, I missed your last post. I would actually get an Evenflo Sureride over another Defender. If you want them all harnessed on trips, it will last way longer, and it should make it easier to make that 3 across work. Also, it's easier to install than the Defender. (The Sureride is wider overall, but puzzles really well with Radians.)

So in the vehicle that you want 3 harnesses in: FF Radian or Defender, FF Sureride, Radian facing whichever direction you want.

In the Accord, you'll have a Foonf, a Bubblebum, and the Defender (or FF Radian, if that works.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC