Question Graco Milestone and MyRide can't be installed in cars without ALR belt function?

Oliver1968

Do I need to use a belt shortening clip if I use milestone rear face in a car with only ALR but no ELR ? Because car belt can't be locked by ELR. Even if I tied safety belt firmly, the belt will eventually loosen. If I try push the head rest slowly, the seat will fall towards front.

I tried install the Myride safety seat in my BMW740 car. The vehicle has an ELR only belt and a sliding latch plate, no ALR function and latch plate can't be locked.
Even though Myride can lock the lap belt with it's own locking clip , it can't stop shoulder belt get loose. The safety seat can be easily turned over by hand.
To help better understand it, I uploaded a video. You can check it at
In this video, it seems very loose. Actually I tried very hard to install it tight,but it's useless.
The Milestone safety seat has similar problem here, since it doesn't use the locking clip in rear facing mode ,even the lap belt can't be locked.

Does that mean I can't use both Myride and Milestone(no LATCH, not US version) with rear facing mode in cars without ALR function?

MyRide.JPG

Graco Milestone.JPG

ADS

laurengt

I would use a locking clip in the scenario you described. Do your seats come with those? (Many have one included and attached to the seat someplace.)

zavyirsdaddy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the lap section is tight and locked, the shoulder section doesn't necessarily have to be tight or locked. I know in my truck the lap part locks but not the shoulder part.

Dillipop

I think you might have the seatbelt in the wrong beltpath, though I could be wrong as this seat is different than the US version. There looks to be a hole near the feet that the belt would go through for rearfacing. I think your install will be much more secure if it's through the correct path.

That said, the way you are checking is going to cause even the best installed seat to tip. You test for tightness at the belt path with one hand. If it moves less than an inch, it's installed right.

Does this seat have a built in lockoff? If so, using it will fix the ELR only issue. If not, you'll need to acquire a locking clip from the manufacturer to lock the lap portion. Either way, the shoulder portion is going to remain slack and moveable. As long as the lap portion is locked, the seat is safe.

MelodyoftheForest

In the video, the lap belt looks very loose. If you had a tight install of the lap portion, it would not rotate so easily like you show in the video. I do not see a lock-off at that belt path like I do on the forward-facing belt path. Does the seat come with a locking mechanism that does not attach to the seat, but only the belt? I agree there is no problem with the shoulder belt not being locked. It will lock in a crash to prevent downward rotation. I can see the blue guide you are using for this purpose near the top of the side of the seat. Maybe a photo of the lap belt locking piece with the seat installed as you show in the video would help us understand the issue.

aeormsby

I think you might have the seatbelt in the wrong beltpath, though I could be wrong as this seat is different than the US version. There looks to be a hole near the feet that the belt would go through for rearfacing. I think your install will be much more secure if it's through the correct path.

That said, the way you are checking is going to cause even the best installed seat to tip. You test for tightness at the belt path with one hand. If it moves less than an inch, it's installed right.

Does this seat have a built in lockoff? If so, using it will fix the ELR only issue. If not, you'll need to acquire a locking clip from the manufacturer to lock the lap portion. Either way, the shoulder portion is going to remain slack and moveable. As long as the lap portion is locked, the seat is safe.

Yes to all of this.

Oliver1968

I double checked the installation beltpath, couldn't find any error.
It did come with locking off, and I used it.
Eventhough the lap belt is locked, the seat is still not firm.

I had another video yesterday, maybe it's more clear.

1 (1).jpg
1 (2).jpg
2 (1).jpg
2 (2).jpg

Dillipop

What country are you in? And is the seat called the myride there? Any chance you could link me to the product manual?

I'm still convinced that there is a separate rearfacing beltpath. Could you take a picture of the entire side of the seat, focusing on near where the child's feet would be?

Oliver1968

What country are you in? And is the seat called the myride there? Any chance you could link me to the product manual?
I'm still convinced that there is a separate rearfacing beltpath. Could you take a picture of the entire side of the seat, focusing on near where the child's feet would be?

PRC, I have both asian version of Myride and Milestone.
Here is the official installation video:

Here is the manual: http://www.gracobaby-china.com/css/image/products/pdf/myride.pdf

I could almost be sure I did right in the installation, also I have double checked with dealer step by step.

So far as I know, if a car has only ELR, we can use locking off or locking clip. The question is even if I used locking off, the safety seat seems still not firm. The same problem with Milestone.

I am confused.

lgenne

According to the installation video, the shoulder belt is supposed to go through this part:

4a2be26b5b94c039e62763fe7f75334b.jpg

Dillipop

Thank you for posting the installation video. It was very helpful.

Looking at your photos and the first video, it seems like the seat is installed according to instructions. You may be able to tighten the lap portion a little more before using the lockoff. And make sure you route the shoulder belt through the blue guide at the top of the seat. It's correct in the video but not in some of the pictures.

Most rearfacing seats without an anti-rebound bar are going to move when you push on them from the top of the seat. It's called rebound and in a crash, that's what the seat will do. I don't have a car with me right now with a non-anti-rebound seat in it to show you but if I wiggled my seat at the top, I could probably recreate what your seat was doing and I am 100% positive mine is installed correctly.

When checking to see if a seat is installed correctly and safely, you only check for movement near the belt path. So once the seat is installed, wiggle the seat near the belt path side to side and front to back and if it moves less than an inch it is fine. Since your seat is behind another one and won't have children going behind it and jostling it, it is unlikely that you'll be able to recreate the flip of the seat easily in real time use.

It will be about 12 hours but I will try to remember this evening to get a video of a couple of my seats rearfacing and installed correctly to show you what I mean. I think you likely have the seat installed fine. Do you have any child passenger safety technicians in your country? someone trained in car seat installation? If so, it might be handy to get in touch and get some pointers in person.

And I want to apologize that we are so confused with this seat. The US myride and milestone install differently than yours.

Oliver1968

Thank you for posting the installation video. It was very helpful.

Looking at your photos and the first video, it seems like the seat is installed according to instructions. You may be able to tighten the lap portion a little more before using the lockoff. And make sure you route the shoulder belt through the blue guide at the top of the seat. It's correct in the video but not in some of the pictures.

Most rearfacing seats without an anti-rebound bar are going to move when you push on them from the top of the seat. It's called rebound and in a crash, that's what the seat will do. I don't have a car with me right now with a non-anti-rebound seat in it to show you but if I wiggled my seat at the top, I could probably recreate what your seat was doing and I am 100% positive mine is installed correctly.

When checking to see if a seat is installed correctly and safely, you only check for movement near the belt path. So once the seat is installed, wiggle the seat near the belt path side to side and front to back and if it moves less than an inch it is fine. Since your seat is behind another one and won't have children going behind it and jostling it, it is unlikely that you'll be able to recreate the flip of the seat easily in real time use.

It will be about 12 hours but I will try to remember this evening to get a video of a couple of my seats rearfacing and installed correctly to show you what I mean. I think you likely have the seat installed fine. Do you have any child passenger safety technicians in your country? someone trained in car seat installation? If so, it might be handy to get in touch and get some pointers in person.

And I want to apologize that we are so confused with this seat. The US myride and milestone install differently than yours.

Sorry, actually the locking off is one direction design. The belt can be tighten to one direction with the locking off, but can't be back. I tighten the lap portion with a lot of strength. I doesn't help at all. Even I put more strength, it's not usefull.

The pictures are not shot in a real installation procedure, I individually made them and forgot put in the blue guide. Actually I did route through the blue guid in every real installations.

I am the person who knows the car safety seats best around, people ask me for help as I am their "technician". :p

As you said, I guess maybe it's normal of the "rebound and in a crash". It doesn't matter in real time use?

Many people believe child seats of US standards with LATCH system are firmer and safer. Many people believe a child seat should firm in any parts and directions, I don't know whether it's right or not. Maybe it's designed to work like this in my case? I can't find any evidence to support it.

Even the seats both called "Milestone" in US and Asia, the appearance look the same. The installation method is totally different. The US seats are more convenient since it doesn't have a belt in back and door side. Child can be put in easier. Asia standards look the same with European's. I saw some English people said they like US version better in Amazon UK comment zone.

I appreciate your help a lot!

MelodyoftheForest

It seems like doing the steps shown in the installation video in reverse order might make it easier to tighten: first buckle the belt through the belt path, then tighten the belt. Holding the belt tight, clamp it into the lockoff, then put it through the blue guide. You may have already tried this, but I wanted to post it in case you hadn't.

Oliver1968

It seems like doing the steps shown in the installation video in reverse order might make it easier to tighten: first buckle the belt through the belt path, then tighten the belt. Holding the belt tight, clamp it into the lockoff, then put it through the blue guide. You may have already tried this, but I wanted to post it in case you hadn't.

I tried the sequence you told me. It seems no matter how tight the lap belt is, the result is the same. My installation sequence is similar to the official video. We can watch it here:

If anybody can tell me , is the result of my installation test normal or abnormal?
Does it matter to safety?

I learned the Myride official manual. It says in some situations, the safety seat can't be used. It didn't mention a shoulder belt with ALR is necessary needed.

Myride.JPG

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC