Expiry on FR85? and height limits

zeo2ski

Is it a 9 year expiration on the entire seat, including the harness?

This is a DOM 2/2013 if that matters. I'm trying to figure out what to get to replace a different expiring seat and am charting out the next few years of kids and seats. I had never thought about this FR before, since it isn't close to expiring, and I did buy it in an emergency situation solely for the highest harness at the time, so maybe I never knew the details in the first place, but...

I thought it was 6 years for the harness and 9 years on the booster. Was that the nautilus I was thinking of? Or did I just make that up?? I happened upon a post saying the FR85 is 9 years so I started searching here, then checked the manual and all I can find is a tiny bit about 9 years. So it looks like 9 all around, but I need confirmation to be sure I'm reading it right. I am recovering from acute blood loss/surgery/transfusions and literally have limited thinking ability at the moment, so I need a second opinion on this. Or fact really.

Also, if the answer above is yes, 9 years, this part doesn't matter, but...

I think I also made up some other numbers. I know at the time I bought it, I chose the 85 for the higher booster height (in preparation for a headrest-less van) over the 90, foregoing the added harness height of the 90. Now the numbers I'm seeing look like the 90 booster is only a smidge shorter than the 85 booster, is that correct? I thought the difference was more. Also, I thought the harness height difference wasn't much, then recently I thought I was told it was a 2" difference, and now I'm seeing it's either 1/2" or 1".

And then there's a new one out...I don't need any easier installs, just highest height limits. Better safety technology is great too, but still has to be tallest.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Right, the 80 is the one that was much taller as a booster. The 85 was never much taller in booster mode and the difference in harness height from the 90 doesn't look as much as it is on paper but installed can be really huge. I can link a thread with pictures of the 85 vs 90 in the same seat if you want.

zeo2ski

Right, the 80 is the one that was much taller as a booster. The 85 was never much taller in booster mode and the difference in harness height from the 90 doesn't look as much as it is on paper but installed can be really huge. I can link a thread with pictures of the 85 vs 90 in the same seat if you want.

Ahhhhh the *80*! That makes so much more sense. Thank you. Naw, I won't need the link, I won't need to buy a harnessed seat now if it's 9 year on the 85, but thanks. Now on to tallest booster for the other kid instead!

zeo2ski

Me too. Except now there's the Spectrum for so much less $$. I don't like that it has no foam, plus I think it's ugly and maybe wider at the base, which might matter for us. But at that price for the Kiddy (which I do think is worth it structurally) I considered going with another Frontier for a similar price but more functions. Not sure what to do. While it is GREAT to have adequate options, it was simpler when there was only one seat available to fit the need!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
For me personally, lack of lower connectors on the spectrum rules it out. My kid tips too much when asleep without them.

zeo2ski

Upon closer examination, it appears the spectrum only goes to 22", with 57" standing limit, which is a far cry from the Kiddy's 23" and 63". Phew ;) Still might have to go do the math on cost per year compared to the Frontier, but I do like all that foam on the 3.

zeo2ski

Well I was coming here to say yes, please link me a thread about the 85/90 harness height in actual use because DD1 (currently boostered in the FR85 after outgrowing the harness a couple months ago, now 7y2m) is saying she wishes she could have a harness, she just loves doing the chest clip and the two clicks of the buckle:cool: I'm trying to find pics showing the difference between the way the 85 and 90 puzzle with a RF radian. But then I came here and you said

I honestly can't stand combination seats in booster mode lol. They are so bulky and hard to buckle.
Huh. Okay so I realized I've only ever used a ProSport and FR as boosters, then backless ones. It just worked out that I had them when we needed boosters and no one needed the harness, so I've never owned a dedicated booster. Well except some Cosco Prontos I got for driving my neighbor's kids way back when. So talk to me about the difference--why are dedicateds easier to buckle? Trying to picture the fundamental difference in shape and it's not seeming different to me. I remember hating how the ProSport seemed so tippy as a booster. The FR isn't like that. I don't have latch in my car. In theory I should have it in the next vehicle (big van) that is the reason to aim for highest booster height in the first place. It's weird trying to pick seats that will work for this imaginary future vehicle while still getting it to work in my current one.

What about how wide the wings are on the Cruiser 3 with the headrest raised?? That number (was is 25.5"?) just seems HUGE when thinking about that monster of a FR at 19". It would actually work in my current set up, over a wheel well on one side and over a RFer on the other, though I wonder if they'd hold up to the 3 yo's kicking... But later on in a van I wonder if the width would be a problem.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Remember that the widest point being the head is WAY different than the widest point being the shoulders in terms of puzzling!

Because of the needs of strength to attach a harness to the back of a combination seat, they tend to be shaped differently at the buckle area and at the sides. They often come forward more at the sides to contain a harnessed child where boosters would have open space for reaching around. While companies obviously try their best, I've found that kids really have difficulty reaching around a harnessed seat with secondary booster function more than a seat that's specifically designed to be easy for a child to buckle. In addition the comfort issues of sitting on a seat with holes where a harness would go occasionally bug children. And combination seats often don't offer ergonomic leg support for older children as much as a well-designed booster.

I can only speak to my kids and kids I've worked with, but most kids seem to really prefer buckling in a well-designed dedicated booster to buckling in almost any combination seat in booster mode.

zeo2ski

That makes sense about the shape. I have been wondering why they don't put more side protection in the torso area of boosters, now that makes sense too.

Thanks for the thread that helps a ton. When you said your DD was 50th percentile for 9 yo I was surprised she had so much room in the 85. At 6y8m my DD was 50th% for a 9 yo height--she broke her collarbone then so I switched her to booster on the opposite shoulder, then after the 6 weeks mending time, the new bone growth put her over the harness limit on the one side. I know she's very tall for her age, but I guess she is still torso-y. But that 90 oughta harness her fine. Now to see if I could actually fit the two FF harnessed in my 47" 3rd row where the TAs are...not likely!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC