2017 Nissan Rogue 3 across

N

Ncmom2

We bought our Nissan in June. We weren't planning on having a 3rd for a few more years. But life surprised us. I found this link saying it is impossible to do a 3 across due to the severe overlap. We aren't in the situation to be able to trade it for something bigger. I'm at a loss. We can purchase new seats.

DD will be 4 in October she rides in a evenflo sureride, DS is 18 months he rides rearfacing in an e2F.

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

I do see some overlap in publicity photos, but it doesn't look too severe to me. If you buckle the center seatbelt, does it stay away from the buckle it overlaps? One option would be to install the outboard driver side seat with LATCH. It doesn't look like the center belt overlaps with the lower anchors in that position. Have to tried to see if the SureRide FF puzzles with the E2F? I would try SureRide center and E2F on each side to start.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I agree that I think it's possible. I just looked at the pic of the 2017. (I have a '16, not sure if the back seat changed at all.)

If you use lower anchors on driver's side, then seat belt center and passenger side, I don't see any overlap issues.

Do you already own an infant seat? Try just placing it in there with the other two seats, and see how much room you have/don't have. If it seems to fit, then you need to try without putting the 4yo on driver's side since he/she will be the first to reach lower anchor weight limit (if not there already). So we know that one will need to be a seat belt install center or passenger side. And see if the other two will puzzle in the remaining spots.

And let us know how you're making out. If it's a definite no go for the seats you have, we'll work on alternatives. Congrats too, mama!

U

Unregistered

FYI. Nissan expressly forbids placing a car seat in the center seating position in it's Snugkids guide for the current generation of Rogues.

U

Unregistered

Hey did you ever fit three across in the rogue?? We have three little ones and love the 2017 Nissan Rogue were interested in purchasing one but got really sad to see that three car seats won’t fit across.

Journeyman

Hi All. My wife and I have a 2016 Nissan Rogue and our expecting our 3rd child next month so have also been looking into the options to install 3 seats. Having tried with my current Britax Maration, Britax Emblem and Peg Perego 4-35, I believe I would be able to get 3 to fit if I replace at least 1, if not 2, of the Britax seats with a narrow option like a Clek Fllo. However I have some concerns after reading the advice against installing 3 across when there is overlapping seat belts, as well as the contradictory guidance from Nissan. Can anyone explain why the overlapping seat belts would be an issue? Wouldn't the belt overlap only be an issue if using belts to secure the car seats in each location? I would be planning to use a belt in the center position (as there are no lower anchors) and use the lower anchors in the 2 side positions - I don't believe the latch-installed seat behind the driver would interfere with the use of a belt to install a middle seat so I don't understand the safety issue here.

The 2016 Nissan rogue has a top tether for the middle seat and the manual provides instruction on usage. However as others have noted, the Nissan Snug Kids documents seems to recommend against using a CRS in this position, though offers no explanation for why. Interestingly the language in the snug kids guide appears to have been relaxed from "Do not install any CRS in the center seating position" in the 2015 guide to "We do not recommend installing any CRS in the center seating position" in the 2014-2018 guide (See links below). I spent a lot of time with Nissan customer relations querying why the manual gives guidance on middle seat installs of CRS while the Snug Kids guide recommends against installing in this location. The people I spoke with were not very helpful and were guessing at why that might be the case - in the end, at my insistence, they say they checked with the author of the guide and said the reason for the guidance was because there are no latch anchors for the center seat position. Given Latch can't even be used for children above a certain weight, this doesn't seem like a good reason to make such a recommendation and, other than easier installation, I'm not aware of Latch being safer than seat belt installs. I have my doubts as to whether the Nissan customer relations contact actually checked with the author of the Snug Kids guide but have no way of verifying one way or the other.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has any experience of successfully installing 3 seats in a 2014-2018 rogue and would also love to hear input from the techs on this site as to whether they would see any concerns with using the middle seat in a 3 across configuration in this car model. Given the latest Snug Kids guide just issues a recommendation against middle seat install (rather than instructing not to use), I am inclined to try going this route, particularly as Nissan were unable to provide a reason for the recommendation other than the lack of lower anchors.

https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/nissan/pdf/owning/snugkids-english/2015/nissan-rogue.pdf
https://www.nissanusa.com/snugkids/manuals/assets/pdfs/snugkids-english/Rogue_MY2014-2018.pdf
https://www.nissanusa.com/snugkids/...h/Rogue_MY2014-2017_with_Optional_3rd_Row.pdf

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes, you will likely have to replace your Britax seats since they are on the wider side. The center plastic hinges will also cause a problem, but there are carseats that sit back from the bight (seat crack) far enough that it shouldn't be an issue. The Clek Fllo is one of those.

I'm guessing that whomever you spoke with on the phone at Nissan did consult with the author(s) of the SnugKids guide. It started as a good idea, but was half-assed in execution. It's true that if a seating position doesn't have LATCH, they don't recommend a carseat be installed there. It's frustrating because who knows how many parents have looked at the guides and made decisions based on inaccurate advice.

However, there is significant seat belt overlap in that position and the center seat belt is over the inner lower anchor on the driver's side. There may be an issue if you install a seat with LATCH behind the driver in that it interferes with the center seat belt. And don't forget the LATCH weight limit of your carseats; the heavier the carseat, the lower the LATCH weight limit, both rear- and forward-facing.

You can certainly give it a try, of course. Not everyone is in a position to get a new vehicle when a new child comes along and you have to do what you have to do. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC