Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Stick with Subaru?

So, our 2010 Legacy was totaled just over a week ago when we were out of town. Everyone is totally fine! I will probably be posting other related questions in more appropriate areas, but right now we are shopping for our next car.

So, we really liked the AWD, and we like the sedan. We also liked the ride and the basic safety and reliability of Subarus. However, I don't want to limit the field too much if there is something else out there I might really like. I want good gas mileage. We never got even 30mpg with out 2010, even on the highway. I wouldn't want less than that. I want the top level of safety. We are looking at used 2013+ Legacy with EyeSight right now. Our budget is around $15k, but less would be fine too. Any suggestions, or should I stick to my limited search? We will be looking at a 2016 with 70k miles on Monday. It is a very good price at under $14k.

Edit: I have been working from this list mostly: https://carseatblog.com/42592/2017-u...ies-and-teens/

The Kia Optima and Hyundai Elantra interest me, and I could get a car with WAY less milage for a few thousand dollars less than the Subaru we are looking at. Like, 70k vs. 1.5k. What is the longevity equation here?
    Last edited by MelodyoftheForest; 08-12-2017 at 08:24 PM.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, RF in a Boulevard and a Scenera Next
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Stick with Subaru?

Just wanted to update for future readers or those following along. The Optima had too stiff a ride for me, and I could hardly see my blind spot. We did not drive an Elantra, but were told they have a stiff ride too when we stopped by a Chevy dealer. We ended up doing a lease on a 2017 Corrolla LE. The ride was good, and it has modern safety and crash prevention features. It is a little smaller than we are used to, but it seemed to be the best course of action for us now. Most of the 3 year lease will be covered by our insurance payout, so that was a big factor for us too.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, RF in a Boulevard and a Scenera Next
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag