Stick with Subaru?

MelodyoftheForest

So, our 2010 Legacy was totaled just over a week ago when we were out of town. Everyone is totally fine! I will probably be posting other related questions in more appropriate areas, but right now we are shopping for our next car.

So, we really liked the AWD, and we like the sedan. We also liked the ride and the basic safety and reliability of Subarus. However, I don't want to limit the field too much if there is something else out there I might really like. I want good gas mileage. We never got even 30mpg with out 2010, even on the highway. I wouldn't want less than that. I want the top level of safety. We are looking at used 2013+ Legacy with EyeSight right now. Our budget is around $15k, but less would be fine too. Any suggestions, or should I stick to my limited search? We will be looking at a 2016 with 70k miles on Monday. It is a very good price at under $14k.

Edit: I have been working from this list mostly: https://carseatblog.com/42592/2017-update-safest-affordable-used-cars-for-families-and-teens/

The Kia Optima and Hyundai Elantra interest me, and I could get a car with WAY less milage for a few thousand dollars less than the Subaru we are looking at. Like, 70k vs. 1.5k. What is the longevity equation here?

Last edited:
ADS

MelodyoftheForest

Just wanted to update for future readers or those following along. The Optima had too stiff a ride for me, and I could hardly see my blind spot. We did not drive an Elantra, but were told they have a stiff ride too when we stopped by a Chevy dealer. We ended up doing a lease on a 2017 Corrolla LE. The ride was good, and it has modern safety and crash prevention features. It is a little smaller than we are used to, but it seemed to be the best course of action for us now. Most of the 3 year lease will be covered by our insurance payout, so that was a big factor for us too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC