Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Does this convertible car seat exist anywhere?

Looking for a convertible seat that has harness straps that are actually easy to tighten and get the last bit of slack out. And to complicate matters, the seat also should have a crotch buckle that doesn't dig into toddler thighs. Does this exist? It's not any of the Graco clones or the Chicco NextFit.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Does this convertible car seat exist anywhere?

Hmm, I had an easy time tightening the Complete Air. But are you sure you aren't over-tightening?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 13, Bridget, 11, Maggie, 9, Katie Sue, 4
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

The Safety 1st?
    I don't *think* I'm over-tightening, but I suppose it's possible. I can often pinch strap at the shoulders. I returned the Chicco after trying it only shortly. Been using a Graco Fit4Me for a year. It annoys me every time I put my 26mo toddler in it. It's hard to get the slack out, and she complains of the buckle jabbing her thighs, and the harness often loosens a tad during a trip.
    Kinda wonder if a normal harness, not no-rethread, might help. I have no issue rethreading harness straps, so not a big deal.

CPS Fanatic

The Graco Milestone is remarkably easy.

Have you tried pulling down on the splitter plate behind the seat before you pull on the harness tightener?

That's what my husband suggested - haha. It's an annoying fix to do that every time, but I'll try it. It wouldn't work when FF though, although that is nowhere near at this point.

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBear View Post
    That's what my husband suggested - haha. It's an annoying fix to do that every time, but I'll try it. It wouldn't work when FF though, although that is nowhere near at this point.
    I find most convertible seats easier to tighten properly when in the forward facing position. It has to do with having leverage to pull the strap towards the floor of the car.

I use the splitter plate in pretty much all my rearfacing seats to get them tight. My Graco extend 2 fit is my easiest.

CCO 4/15

That's a good point about the pulling down leverage. My oldest was in an Evenflo Triumph Advance RF until 3.5 and then FF to 5.5 - a few years ago, that seat had higher RF height limits, and it was a great seat. Anyway, it has those knob tighteners, and I never had any problem with them. I'm tempted to rebuy it, but it has kind of low RF height limits. I'll try the splitter maneuvering trick before I throw in the towel and try 10 other seats. HAHA!

The Clek seats I find to be super easy to tighten. The crotch strap is on the short side, so you may want to try before you buy to see if it's going to pinch thighs or not. I have not had that problem with it yet.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

It used to be that the Evenflo seats had longer crotch straps, and maybe Safety First? Whatever you do, don't get the Graco 4Ever Extend to fit. I see it's at Target now. The crotch strap is way too short when the insert is in which is required to 25 lbs. Can you try some out in your car at Babies R Us or Buy Buy Baby?
    PEG - CPST & Gramma to:
    Hannah - 13 - Seatbelt!
    Brett - 11.5 - Seatbelt
    Matt- 8 - Pkwy/Monterey
    Griffin - 3 - PVC/Size4Me/Guide65/Fllo