Britax advocate rearfacing question

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
I have a question regarding the limits of the Britax Advocate Clicktight. What part of the shell do I measure to ensure that my son has 1 inch of head room between his head and the top of the shell? Do I measure to the side? Or to the part above his head? If above his head, I measure to where the padding ends, or can I include the handle that adjusts the height in that 1 inch. The answer to this question will determine whether I need to turn my son forward facing. Please let me know if you need any clarification on my question, and if needed I can add a picture. Thank you.

ADS

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
IMG_2342.jpg

In this picture, you can see where the top of his head is in relation to the shell. I have a ruler at the top of his head. There is not much room if I measure to where the padding ends, but there is plenty of room if I measure to the top of the plastic piece that adjusts the headrest. I am not sure which part to measure with....

MelodyoftheForest

I would refer you to your manual as far as what point his head must be 1" below. I think it is 1" below the red part of the adjustment handle, but don't quote me on it! As far as the space, it is hard to measure with something like a ruler. And it is hard to tell the angle of the ruler from a photo. You need to measure perpendicular to the angle of the head rest. The easiest way to do this is to use a thick board book or similar object. Put the spine flat against the headrest and the edges of the pages on his head. The amount of spine below the point you are supposed to measure to is what you need to look at.

lgenne

Can you raise the headrest and still have the straps below his shoulders? Is he still under 40 pounds?

It's extremely rare to outgrow the Advocate ClickTight rear facing by seated height.

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
He did just turn 4. ;) The headrest is raised as far as I can raise it. If I raise it anymore, the straps will be above his shoulders.

But to still answer my question, do I measure from under the head rest adjuster, or the top of the head rest adjuster?

featherhead

I'm guessing till the bottom of the handle, but you may want to contact Britax to be sure. It looks like he still has enough space. The ruler doesn't look like its perpendicular to the back of the seat. I would second what MelodyoftheForest said. Use a thick book, stand it on top of the kids head with the spine against the car seat headrest. Then measure up the spine to see how much room there is.

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
In case anyone is interested, I got confirmation from a local CPST that my 2014 model allows rearfacing to the top of the handle, so my son is still okay rearfacing for a bit longer. Thanks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC