Older children in middle position, no headrest, only lapbelts

Veronica Lynn

Hi! We are looking at an older Suburban that will allow us to haul our horses and the whole family (6 children, no extra seats). Trouble is, older Suburbans don't have headrests or shoulder belts. We are needing a way to either add headrests & shoulder belts that is safe and not just for looks OR we need to put our 2 youngest children back into a car seat that doesn't require a headrest on the vehicle. One child is 11yo, 58", 71lbs and the other is 8yo, 53", 61lbs. We haven't purchased a vehicle yet, so if someone happens to know of one that has headrests/shoulder belts in all positions and has a high towing capacity, that would be the best all around, but I sure haven't found one (that's affordable) yet.

TIA!

ADS

Veronica Lynn

Thank you, Ann! I didn't know about the harness. I thought there was a booster approved for use without headrests but I have yet to find it. I'll keep searching. I've asked on truck forums if I can switch out seats from newer vehicles but I don't have a response there yet. We can't be the only people with this issue. Most people probably don't have the problem bc of needing to haul horses, but still seems people do drive older cars...and even newer ones without headrests. A 2011 Suburban doesn't even have center headrests. Gotta be a solution out there somewhere. :)

lgenne

IIRC, EZ-On says it can be used with any booster, but on Diono has actually approved it for use with their booster (the Monterey?)

lgenne

And I would probably use an Evenflo Spectrum, just because it's so tall, it should get you to the point where older kids start leaving the nest and you can stop using those center positions.

zeo2ski

Thank you, Ann! I didn't know about the harness. I thought there was a booster approved for use without headrests but I have yet to find it. I'll keep searching. I've asked on truck forums if I can switch out seats from newer vehicles but I don't have a response there yet. We can't be the only people with this issue. Most people probably don't have the problem bc of needing to haul horses, but still seems people do drive older cars...and even newer ones without headrests. A 2011 Suburban doesn't even have center headrests. Gotta be a solution out there somewhere. :)

What year are you looking to buy? The body changed and the seats would not be interchangeable between the body styles.

Years ago I looked into the EZon harness and had DH (who has some welding training) to look at the frame and he said there were good in the right place. Ours is a 98.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC