Question HBB and non-removable headrests 2010 Santa Fe

Stacylove75

Hi,

I need a HBB for our 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe. I tried a Britax Parkway SGL, which had a gap behind it due to the headrest pushing it forward. The headrest is not removable, so that can't work. I now have a Clek Oober, which fits the car (without a gap, though this seat allows one). The problem is the seat is shallow. I knew this was a potential problem with this seat, but it's worse than I was expecting. My son is 45 lbs, 47", and will be seven years old next month. The seat already doesn't support his legs up to his knees. He says it's fine, but I am guessing this would become uncomfortable on long trips even now. I can't imagine this working for him for a couple years or more.

I've had the Graco Turbobooster or the maxi cosi rodifix recommended as seats that may possibly work in this situation. I'd prefer something with latch and, ideally, a cup holder, so I was thinking about the Turbobooster LX? Before I purchase yet another seat (thanks for free returns, Amazon!) does anyone have experience with these seats in this situation or with any HBB in this vehicle? Or do we need to learn to live with the Oober for as long as possible?

Thanks,
Stacy

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

If you like the OObr other than the shallow seat, you could make a footrest out of a foam cooler, rolled sleeping bag, etc. The Turbo with LATCH would probably be worth a try if it checks all your other boxes, especially if you have a place you can try it nearby.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
While a HBB may offer additional side impact protection, there are no absolutes on that, and one of the other benefits is for younger booster riders to have a better shoulder belt fit and to help them learn to stay in position. If the Oobr is working for him now, I'd just stick with it. Give him a pile of pillows, big sleeping bag in a carry bag, Styrofoam cooler, etc to help with his legs if there are any complaints, and then when/if he gets to the point where it's really troubling him, use the Oobr backless. So long as the belt fit is good, and the non-removable headrest comes at least to the tops of his ears, that's a reasonable solution. He might even be 8 before this happens, or older. And totally appropriate in a backless at that point.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC