Question Camping in a running car with AC on

U

Unregistered

I am wanting to camp in my van but I have to have AC. Is it safe to leave running when you have recirculating air and all windows closed?

ADS

Dillipop

The concern with running a vehicle for long periods of time is carbon monoxide entering the cabin. I would guess that if you made sure to park in a very well ventilated area and made sure all exhaust pipe were totally clear, the risk of CO2 poisoning would be low.

However, depending on where you plan to camp, you might not be able to run your vehicle all night. And take into consideration the effect on the environment idling a car for 8-10 hours. And I can't imagine it would be good for the wallet to pay for the gas that it would consume.

Another idea would be to get a site with electric (or bring a battery to plug into) and bring a portable air conditioner with you. You wouldn't have to run your vehicle and any risk would be lessened quite a bit.

mum2two

I can't imagine the other campers will appreciate your car running all night either. I think the idea of some type of fan would be much better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC