Question Let me pick your brains, please :)

MrsSweetPotato

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping you will let me pick your brains. We've been kind of hobbling along best we can re: car seats but now that I have time to sit and think about it, I want to make sure that the kids are all in the best seats and best configuration for our vehicles.

We currently drive:
- 2015 Chrysler Town & Country
- 2009 Honda Fit.

We generally ALWAYS have the kids in the T&C, but occasionally we have had one kid drive with Daddy in the Fit. I'm not keen on it at all, but it is what it is.

Our kiddos and their seats.

- our super tall 6-year-old transitioned to a booster last year. She will be 7 right after Christmas. I'm wondering if it is still a good choice for her because she was really good about sitting properly at first, but now she is moving around too much.
She has an Evenflo Big Kid seat
http://www.evenflo.com/car-seats/bi...er#srule=product-name-ascending&sz=12&start=4
She is seated in the 3rd row, passenger side.

- our 4-year-old boy is average height and weight. He is currently in a Graco MyRide 65.
https://www.amazon.ca/Graco-Convertible-Marston-Brown-Green/dp/B00D3P8Q64
He is steated in the 3rd row, UAS, driver side.

- our baby just turned 1. She is currently still in her bucket seat and I'm sure will have to be transitioned to a convertible shortly. I want to pick the one that will last her the longest.
We have the base latched into the captain's seat behind the driver.

The captain's seat on the passenger side is permanently stowed for easy access to buckle/unbuckle the 4 year old.

We are super conscious of our budget, so we try to keep costs as low as we can. We live in Ontario.

We haven't had the best experience with car seat techs and I'm kind of bracing myself for negative comments :( We're trying, guys!

Thanks in advance for any insight!

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

I don't see anything that would make anyone here give you a negative comment! We are here to be supportive of parents like you who are trying to do their best. If you want a harnessed seat for the oldest, giving us her shirt size or torso measurement would be helpful. For a measurement, have her sit on the floor and measure from the floor to the top of her shoulder. How big is the baby? If your middle child is FF (which is appropriate), maybe getting him a new seat and passing down the MyRide is an option. When does it expire?

MrsSweetPotato

Thanks for the response! I've had experiences in the past with very well-meaning, but pushy, car seat tech friends that pointed out a number of items with my car seat use when I was super pregnant, hormonal and overwhelmed. She made me feel like a neglectful mother for not shelling out for the most expensive car seat right that second. (I did revise my car seat plans and usage shortly thereafter, but it was kind of one of those "I can only do so many things at one time, and this ain't it" kind of situations.)

I haven't measured the torso for my oldest daughter yet. She is 64.4 lbs and 50.5" My son (middle child) is forward facing. He's 51.3 lbs and 44" tall.

The My Ride 65 does not expire until 2019 so I think I will pass it down to my baby. She is 22.6 lbs and 29" tall.

I will play around with the Evenflo for my oldest and try to re-train her properly, so I guess I am really just looking for a combination seat for my middle child.

I've just ordered the Cosco Senera Next for the baby for the Honda Fit.
http://vicarseattechs.com/2015/cosco-scenera-next-small-seat-big-value/

BIRD

I think you are already making great choices here and coming here and being brave enough to post a question shows that you are already on top of things.

In reference to your oldest just make sure she is passing the 5 step test for boosters see: https://carseatblog.com/3966/the-5-step-test/

I would agree that passing down the Myride is the best bet here and finding a combination seat for your 4 year old is your best bet. I think you can find some great recommendations here: https://carseatblog.com/safest-recommended-car-seats/#COMBINATION

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Add me to the list of people who think you've got it well-covered! I'm sorry to hear you had a poor experience, and super glad you're feeling comfortable asking more questions.

Your oldest is a sneeze away (or perhaps one big meal) from surpassing the weight limit on all harnessed seats in Canada. I have found that my kids cycle as well with sometimes sitting well and sometimes needing more reminders. Hopefully she's receptive!

If you want to be able to use the lower anchors in the 3rd row for the longest possible time I'd also look at the Evenflo SureRide (also called Titan 65 at Walmart). It is usable to either 50 or 55lbs of child weight, giving you long term use of that extra space in the 3rd row. It's usually on sale somewhere for around $130.

Then once the MyRide expires you can pass the SureRide to the baby (rear or forward facing as you prefer), and bump everyone up to the next set of seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC