Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

2015+ Chevy Suburbans Safe for Kids in Middle Seat?

I'm really like the Suburban. I have a family of 5 (3 boys) and there aren't many other vehicles that will meet my family's needs. Specifically I am looking at getting a late model, 2015 or newer Suburban.

I've driven it many times and like everything about it....except today I realized that the middle seats in BOTH the second and third rows do NOT have headrests! This is extremely dangerous for any passenger riding in those middle seats, as headrests prevent whiplash. So Weird! I can't believe it. Is there a solution? How is Chevy getting away with this when the Toyota Sequoia and Ford Expedition both have headrests for all seats... I just don't understand.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: 2015+ Chevy Suburbans Safe for Kids in Middle Seat?

The lack of center head restraints is a disadvantage compared to minivan and some other full size SUVs that have similar interior space for occupants. The lack of IIHS testing is also troubling, given that manufacturers can submit vehicles at their own cost to test, there's really no excuse not to have a high volume family vehicle tested. The 4-star NHTSA frontal crash test results also lag behind many minivans.

You make some good points. Can you tell me more about the lack of IIHS testing? Does this apply to other full size SUVs like the Ford Expedition and Toyota Sequoia? As functional as minivans are, I like the look of SUVs more. Maybe form over function in some aspects, I'll admit.

I'm not sure why, but the IIHS doesn't test full size, truck-based SUVs like the ones you mention. So, an auto manufacturer would have to supply vehicles on its own expense to have testing completed. That doesn't necessarily mean they perform poorly in the types of crashes the IIHS simulates in their testing, but of course there is one less reason to design them to do well in that type of crash.