2015+ Chevy Suburbans Safe for Kids in Middle Seat?

gtnator

I'm really like the Suburban. I have a family of 5 (3 boys) and there aren't many other vehicles that will meet my family's needs. Specifically I am looking at getting a late model, 2015 or newer Suburban.

I've driven it many times and like everything about it....except today I realized that the middle seats in BOTH the second and third rows do NOT have headrests! This is extremely dangerous for any passenger riding in those middle seats, as headrests prevent whiplash. So Weird! I can't believe it. Is there a solution? How is Chevy getting away with this when the Toyota Sequoia and Ford Expedition both have headrests for all seats... I just don't understand.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The lack of center head restraints is a disadvantage compared to minivan and some other full size SUVs that have similar interior space for occupants. The lack of IIHS testing is also troubling, given that manufacturers can submit vehicles at their own cost to test, there's really no excuse not to have a high volume family vehicle tested. The 4-star NHTSA frontal crash test results also lag behind many minivans.

gtnator

You make some good points. Can you tell me more about the lack of IIHS testing? Does this apply to other full size SUVs like the Ford Expedition and Toyota Sequoia? As functional as minivans are, I like the look of SUVs more. Maybe form over function in some aspects, I'll admit.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'm not sure why, but the IIHS doesn't test full size, truck-based SUVs like the ones you mention. So, an auto manufacturer would have to supply vehicles on its own expense to have testing completed. That doesn't necessarily mean they perform poorly in the types of crashes the IIHS simulates in their testing, but of course there is one less reason to design them to do well in that type of crash.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC