Mama w/a LATCH Manual, I need help

mom2riley

A mama on my other board has a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am and she can't find if using latch in the center is OK in her manual. I told her I would ask. She has her DD's seat installed center w/ LATCH right now. TIA :love:

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's ok in that car if it's ok with the seat (Graco or Britax or Dorel, yes, most other brands, no)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Jools wouldn't steer you wrong. :) Some GM models have dedicated center lower LATCH anchors, but not the '04 Grand Am, so maybe that's what this other person is going by. However, the LATCH manual indicates GM is one of the vehicle manufacturers that do allow center lower LATCH installs using borrowed outboard LATCH anchors if the carseat instructions allow it. :thumbsup:

mom2riley

Jools wouldn't steer you wrong. :) Some GM models have dedicated center lower LATCH anchors, but not the '04 Grand Am, so maybe that's what this other person is going by. However, the LATCH manual indicates GM is one of the vehicle manufacturers that do allow center lower LATCH installs using borrowed outboard LATCH anchors if the carseat instructions allow it. :thumbsup:

I didn't think she would, that is why I was confused. But, I wanted to make sure before I said anything. Thank you :thumbsup:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Phew :).

It's always wise to err on the side of caution by reading the car manual (which probably doesn't specify the center is ok, and Britax manuals don't say either), but the LATCH manual trumps them all :thumbsup:

clothdiapermom

Senior Community Member
Sorry Jools I was probably the "other" person telling her not to. At the time my latch manual was out in the car. :doh: I am just not a fan of borrowing latch anchors because I see people then try to put a seat outboard and share anchors since they don't fully understand the way Latch works. Plus I think seatbelt installs are usually super easy especially in the center.

So sorry about that.

waterbaby

Another person is saying that it is NOT OK to use latch center in this car :confused:

:lol: I thught it was was me, too. :D I had just looked at the chart and didn't read the rest of the info at the top of the chart. My bad. Learn something new every day.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL! Like I said, it's best to err on the side of caution, so no worries. Does a 2004 not have a lap/shoulder in the middle? I guess on a GM it would still be a lap...yeah, that's easy... MA with a lap shoulder is definitely not easy, lol :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC