Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Expired Seat

Unregistered

Expired Seat

Posting anonymously because I know people on here and I know I should know better but kind of feeling defeated. I was given a Keyfit30. I completely trust the one who gave it to me and know with all certainty that it has not traveled nor been in an accident. It expired November 2016. We are living penny to penny on my husbands one income. Even finding $50 for a new cheap seat isn't happening and I'm due within 2 weeks. I called around to hospitals, police stations, etc. to ask about free seats and have not been able to find any such program in my area. I'm at the point that any seat is better than no seat. I tried to save for a seat and the car blew up ... money gone. Started saving again and a pipe burst in our house ... money gone. One thing after another keeps wiping out our savings. I don't really like infant seats so I plan on only using it for a few months before I get a convertible. I'm at the point of, I don't know what to do. I'm sure on here I won't get the answer I like but maybe I need the answer I won't like? I'm in tears feeling like I failed this baby already.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Expired Seat

I'm sorry things are so hard right now. You do what you gotta do. I would start saving every penny you can, starting today. Are there family or friends anywhere that could help out with a couple bucks? A local church or other charity? I don't think it's the end of the world to use a seat that expired a few months ago for a short while (when there is absolutely no other choice), but you need to do everything you can to replace it.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Where are you located? Maybe one of us here might know of resources.

CCO 4/15

5. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by Dillipop View Post
    Where are you located? Maybe one of us here might know of resources.
    This question for me too.

I understand those hard times trust me. I'm sorry you're going through this tough time but I do agree that an expired seat is better than no seat. You haven't failed your child. Chin up.
    Lauren: Detention Officer & CPST
    Mom to JRR (12/2009) -- riding in a Cybex M-Fix & Britax Pioneer (in booster mode)
    and LDM (4/2013) -- RF in a Clek Foonf.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Posting anonymously because I know people on here and I know I should know better but kind of feeling defeated. I was given a Keyfit30. I completely trust the one who gave it to me and know with all certainty that it has not traveled nor been in an accident. It expired November 2016. We are living penny to penny on my husbands one income. Even finding $50 for a new cheap seat isn't happening and I'm due within 2 weeks. I called around to hospitals, police stations, etc. to ask about free seats and have not been able to find any such program in my area. I'm at the point that any seat is better than no seat. I tried to save for a seat and the car blew up ... money gone. Started saving again and a pipe burst in our house ... money gone. One thing after another keeps wiping out our savings. I don't really like infant seats so I plan on only using it for a few months before I get a convertible. I'm at the point of, I don't know what to do. I'm sure on here I won't get the answer I like but maybe I need the answer I won't like? I'm in tears feeling like I failed this baby already.
    Girl, you do what you got to do. I don't think it's that bad. The odds of getting in a serious accident are low. The odds of that carseat failing because it's even a few years past expiration if you get in a car accident are even lower. I know plastic does breakdown overtime, but I am guesing that they car seat manufactures are extremely careful with dates because they don't want to get sued. I a, guessing your seat is 100% fine.

You are the parent and you need to make this "choice" for yourself (if it is even a choice).

My first baby's life was saved in a terrible wreck in an infant seat I scrounged up from a yard sale. It may or may not have been expired - I have no idea when it was manufactured or even if early 90s seats had expirations.

Obviously my recommendation is to obtain a new seat. Maybe ask 6 or 7 good friends to each contribute $5 towards a Cosco Scenera NEXT?

But if the Keyfit is all you have, you've checked it over and you know it's in good condition, and it's only been expired a year (we're not talking about something 25 years old), and you really don't have another choice, what do you do? Obviously taking baby home on your lap isn't a good choice either.

I'd try to limit driving as much as humanly possible and get that NEXT from Walmart as soon as you can.
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Giant 6 year old in FR85 & Pinnacle; Petite toddler bouncing among CA65, CCO, BLVDCT, RXT depending on mom's mood.

9. Thank You from:

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

I'm sorry that you're feeling defeated. That's got to be frustrating, and made worse by being pregnant. {{{{hugs}}}}

If you happen to be in CT, please PM me. I'd like to help if I can. I have access to some program seats.
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

If you're in Minneapolis area, PM me. I have a Next I've never used that I'd give you.
    PEG - CPST & Gramma to:
    Hannah - 13 - Seatbelt!
    Brett - 11.5 - Seatbelt
    Matt- 8 - Pkwy/Monterey
    Griffin - 3 - PVC/Size4Me/Guide65/Fllo

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Oregon here. PM me if you're in my area and I'll help you figure this out.

CCO 4/15

Carseat Crazy

I am also in CT and have an unexpired KeyFit I would be happy to pass along.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, RF in a 4Ever and a Scenera Next
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag