Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

FF carseat for Toyota Tacoma Access Cab?

Hi Everyone,
    My husband drives a Toyota Tacoma Access Cab which has fold-down rear seats. The manual clearly states that carseats can be installed in the back on those seats (and there are tethers). But we are struggling to find a FF seat for our 5 year old daughter (36 lbs, 41" tall) that will actually fit.

The problem appears to be the headrests which tip slightly forward. This means that the backs of the car seats I've tried (which are tall enough to overlap the headrest) are pushed too far forward to get enough of the base on the seat (there is a gap of about an inch and a half between the back of the carseat and the back of the seat). The headrests are not removable.

We've tried an Evenflo Maestro and a Diono Radian. Does anyone know of another FF seat that would fit my daughter's size that isn't as tall as those two (something that might come in underneath the headrest so it could be pushed all the way back)? Or could we look into a booster? I'd much prefer she be in a harness, but this would be a sometimes ride, not a regular one because she typically rides in my car (a Prius). It would be so convenient if my husband could pick her up too though, especially as we have a new baby coming next month.

Thanks for any help and ideas.
    Rebecca

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: FF carseat for Toyota Tacoma Access Cab?

Something with a no rethread harness might work better. The "shell" tends to be shorter, and the headrest sits further forward, so it might not interfere with the headrest. Graco Tranzitions or Contender?

4. Thank You from:

Re: FF carseat for Toyota Tacoma Access Cab?

Thank you so much for these ideas. I will look into those.