FF carseat for Toyota Tacoma Access Cab?

rpower75

Hi Everyone,
My husband drives a Toyota Tacoma Access Cab which has fold-down rear seats. The manual clearly states that carseats can be installed in the back on those seats (and there are tethers). But we are struggling to find a FF seat for our 5 year old daughter (36 lbs, 41" tall) that will actually fit.

The problem appears to be the headrests which tip slightly forward. This means that the backs of the car seats I've tried (which are tall enough to overlap the headrest) are pushed too far forward to get enough of the base on the seat (there is a gap of about an inch and a half between the back of the carseat and the back of the seat). The headrests are not removable.

We've tried an Evenflo Maestro and a Diono Radian. Does anyone know of another FF seat that would fit my daughter's size that isn't as tall as those two (something that might come in underneath the headrest so it could be pushed all the way back)? Or could we look into a booster? I'd much prefer she be in a harness, but this would be a sometimes ride, not a regular one because she typically rides in my car (a Prius). It would be so convenient if my husband could pick her up too though, especially as we have a new baby coming next month.

Thanks for any help and ideas.
Rebecca

ADS

lgenne

Something with a no rethread harness might work better. The "shell" tends to be shorter, and the headrest sits further forward, so it might not interfere with the headrest. Graco Tranzitions or Contender?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC