Need new carseats!-Help (merged thread)

tjhav21

infant seat question-my daughter is going to be a year old in 2 weeks. She's about 19 lbs and about 30 inches height. We've had her in the Britax b safe bucket seat. when is a good time to transition her out of this seat into a convertible? I know per the manual she can be in there until 30lbs/32 inches. So we are still okay in it?

ADS

tjhav21

Need new carseats!-Help

We need to buy new seats. Currently-my 6'3 husband drives a honda civic. We need to replace my son's car seat, and move my daughter into a convertible from her infant bucket seat. She's turning 1 in 2 weeks, about 19 lbs and about 30 inches height. Son is 3, 33 lbs and almost 40 inches tall. Both will be rear facing. Hubby's biggest issue is his seat hitting the car seat in the back (so we need something that will fit). We do currently have an Evenflo Tribute (light weight we use for travel) that we can put one of the kids in-son is currently in this,but if we buy him a longer lasting seat, we could put daughter in here?)

I drive a Mazda CX-9 SUV. Son currently in is in the Britax Advocate clicktight. Daughter will be moved out of her bucket seat. Shud we buy new convertible for daughter and keep son in his, or move daughter into Advocate clicktight, and buy new longer lasting for son?

Money isn't a factor. We want long lasting, comfy and safe, and one that will fit. Thanks!

U

Unregistered

As long as your daughter's head is properly contained, then she can continue to use the infant seat, but you will need something bigger soon.

For your son - the Tribute has a 37in standing height limit rear facing, a 40in limit forward facing, and is small in general - are you SURE he still fits?

If you're keeping both your kids rearfacing then it's up to you whether you pass down the Britax or give it to the baby. Some longer lasting seats than the Britax would be the Graco Extend2Fit models, the Nuna Rava, and the Safety 1st Go and Grow EX Air (all have 50lb rf limits and a height to match).

For your husband's civic you might look at these space comparison charts https://carseatblog.com/22818/the-u...ertible-space-comparison-review-size-matters/

One possibility to deal with space is to get a larger convertible/multimode seat for your son and a Scenera NEXT or use the Tribute (assuming it has enough time left before it expires) for the baby - then when your son turns forward facing in the car you can put him in a combination seat and hand down the bigger seat to his sister.

U

Unregistered

Thanks! My plan is to move her to her brothers Britax Advocate in my SUV, and put her in the Evelflo Tribute in my husband's civic. My son is outgrowing the Tribute, hence need to get him a new one asap! thanks for the space saving list. What about the Graco slimfit? His seat will go behind the passenger side.

Is the Graco extend2Fit a convertible/multi mode seat? Maybe get that for my SUV?

Also, an recommendations for a light weight travel seat for him? We would carry the Tribute with us when he was younger, but will now take that with us when we are traveling. What can I use fir him when traveling?

tjhav21

Thanks! He is just barely 37 inches (had to remeasure him, as I estimated earlier but thanks for bringing to my attention he is almost outgrown the Tribute for rear facing!
The plan is to move my daughter to the Tribute and put her behind the driver seat in hubby's Civic, and get my son a new seat behind the passenger seat. Thanks for the link on space saving seats. How about the Graco Slim Fit? I'm also thinking, since the Tribute will go behind hubby, then we don't necessarily a space saving one on the passenger side?

In my SUV, we will move daughter to Britax Advocate, and get my son a new longer lasting seat.

Also, can you recommend a lighter travel seat for my son? We always took the Tribute with us, but he's growing out of it, and it will now be used for my daughter?

Thanks!

U

Unregistered

For a travel seat, carseatblog has some possibilities listed here https://carseatblog.com/25408/recommended-carseats-for-airplane-travel/ and csftl has one http://csftl.org/car-seats-travel/

For the Civic - if a person (say, you) will be sitting in the passenger seat it's a good idea to still think about space somewhat, since you don't want to be eating the dash. That said, any seat that you can install more upright would likely work.

If you like the Slimfit (or the Milestone) than it's certainly an option - there are of course plenty of other seats that can be installed reasonably upright for older rear-facers. You could also get another Clicktight if you like the ease of install, or soemthing else. I honestly don't feel up to narrowing it down for you, but hopefully others might have some input. Your son should get to around four in any of the tall 40lb seats on the market - if you feel like you want to rearface longer than that, then any of the 50lb seats I mentioned earlier would be good options. If you have a Babies R Us or other store that will let you try out seats before you buy, you might play around with seats to find one you like!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC