Question 1995 suburu domingo, japanese import seat question...(in Canada)

mr soy

ADS
U

Unregistered

Do you want an infant seat or a convertible? What is your budget?

Does this vehicle have tether anchors? If it does not you will need to find out if it is possible to retrofit tether anchors, since the top tether will be required when your child is forward facing.

If you purchase this vehicle I would have the seatbelts inspected and replaced if needed - they would be over 30 years old!

mr soy

would want an infant seat first, then the rest i guess. i imagine the anchor bolt can be added if it isnt? i was hoping people would have some info on older vehicles and baby seats...
good call on the seatbelts

lgenne

(1995 was 22 years ago, not 30+. Still, check out the seat belts.)

I would rear face as long as possible in a vehicle that age. What's a comfortable budget for you?

U

Unregistered

Yes, 22 years ago, d'oh, don't do math in your head when you're tired! (Either that, or it was a typo, can't remember which.)

Agreed on rear facing as long as possible - I believe the Extend2Fit is available in Canada? So that would probably last until your child is booster age, if they are small to average size.

On tether anchors, I'd contact your local Subaru dealer to see if it's retrofit-able, but do be warned they sometimes have no clue on the subject. If it isn't, and it might not be, hopefully some Canadian members can chime in about the possibility of using generic tether anchors, so long as you can locate an appropriate place to install them in the vehicle. If that isn't possible, you will HAVE to rear face until booster age in that vehicle, as forward facing harnessed seats MUST be tethered in Canada. (And it is much safer to regardless, especially in smaller spaces.)

MelodyoftheForest

Do the belts have a locking mechanism? If not, a seat with a built-in lock-off would be on the top of my list. This feature is becoming more and more common on infant seats, but is less common on convertibles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC