Question 2000 Jeep Cherokee-compatible car seats

W

whimbrel

hi,

My 15mo is currently in a Graco Snugride ClickConnect 35, and is just shy of 21 lbs and 80 cm. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee which unfortunately predates the LATCH system, and I'm wondering what I should look for in convertible seats that would be suitable for when he gets older/larger. My SIL uses Diono seats with both her kids and loves them, and I've always been interested in the Clek line, but any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm in Canada but in a remote location so I'll be shopping online and installing it myself (although I believe the fire department here does safety checks on car seats).

Thanks very much!

ADS
U

Unregistered

The Britax Clichtight seats would be very good for your situation - they were designed for easy seatbelt installs. They will last you until two and beyond rear facing. The Advocate and Boulevard have taller top slots and will take the vast majority of kids to booster age forward facing, but the Marathon will still last a long time.

A proper seatbelt install isn't any less safe than a proper latch install. The original idea behind latch/isofix was to make seats safer by making them easier to install, but it hasn't really panned out long term.

Double check that the fire department has certified techs - if they don't than don't bother with them, there's no telling if they'll know their stuff or not.

MelodyoftheForest

First I would check how your vehicle's belts lock. I have played in a Cherokee of a similar year, and I think it had locking latchplates rather than a locking retractor. If it does have a locking latchplate where you want to install the seat, anything should be easy to install. The Graco convertible line is popular around here and does not include lockoffs on their seats. If you have locking retractors, the Clicktight line, the Chicco NextFit line, the Clek line, and maybe a few others have lockoffs on the seat that I really appreciate for seat belt installs. The lockoffs generally mean you don't have to lock the belt at the retractor, which can cause annoying tipping without lockoffs.

Edit: I apologize if some of these seats aren't available in Canada. I am not very familiar with availability there. I know you can get Clek and some Graco.

W

whimbrel

The Britax Clichtight seats would be very good for your situation - they were designed for easy seatbelt installs. They will last you until two and beyond rear facing. The Advocate and Boulevard have taller top slots and will take the vast majority of kids to booster age forward facing, but the Marathon will still last a long time.

A proper seatbelt install isn't any less safe than a proper latch install. The original idea behind latch/isofix was to make seats safer by making them easier to install, but it hasn't really panned out long term.

Double check that the fire department has certified techs - if they don't than don't bother with them, there's no telling if they'll know their stuff or not.

Thanks very much for the Britax recommendation, I checked them out and read some reviews and it seems like it will be perfect for our needs, especially with the easy install. I haven't been able to check yet if there's anyone certified, I've heard various things from various parents but there's so much turnover here that it's possible there used to be someone but they've since moved away.

Appreciate the help!

U

Unregistered

I'm really glad I could help out!

Since you're in Canada and it does get cold out there, just an obligatory reminder not to put your kiddo in bulky winter coats/snowsuits in the car this winter. (Actually, you shouldn't be wearing one in the car either - big puffy coats can mess with proper seatbelt fit and add slack just like they do in a harness!) Fleece and smart layers is the way to go.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC