Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Just purchased an 83 LeBaron Convertible: Child Safety seat?

Hello Everyone,

So glad I found this site.

So, as the title says, I just purchased a 1983 Chrysler LeBaron convertible, and want to be able to put a seat in it for my toddler (2 years old, 3 feet tall, approximately 34 pounds). It has lap belts, but from what I have read on this site, that is not a problem at all for a child safety seat - in fact, it's desirable.

However, the current Britax seat we have also has two anchoring clips that I assume are standard on all such equipment now, but I don't believe this car was designed for this kind of seat (since it was released in 1983) and I don't think it has the bars to clip into hidden behind the joints where the backs of the rear seats meet the "seat" part.

What are my best options for getting a seat that will keep my boy safe?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Just purchased an 83 LeBaron Convertible: Child Safety seat?

All carseats can be installed with either seatbelt or latch anchors. However, your "new" car will not have an anchor for the top tether either, which is important for forward-facing. I would suggest for now getting a seat that will fit him for quite a while rear-facing and look into getting a tether anchor installed for when he outgrows rear-facing. The Graco Extend2Fit is a very long lasting seat for rear-facing and a very highly recommended one.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1