Question 3 across; 8-Seater minivan

Val3

Does anyone else find buying cars and carseats overwhelming and stressful!!

Here is the info on my kids and their seats
DS 1 - FF, Dino Radian RXT, 4 y.o.
DS 2- RF, Diono Radian RXT, 20 months
Baby 3 (due Feb) - RF Maxi Cosi Piazzo, once baby is old enough will most likely go into a Diono as well.

We are looking at 8 seater minivans. In an ideal world I would love all three kids to fit in the middle row. I've seen the posts on here about what seats are possible but the Diono isn't really mentioned to answer my questions so thought I would see if I get any answers here to my specific questions

1. Can the Diono Radian RXT fit forward facing in the jump seat of the middle row Honda Odyssey (2014-present)?
2. Any experience with the Maxi Cosi Piazzo bucket seat in the middle row jump seat?
3. Is it possible to get these seats all in the middle row of any minivan?

Any information on combination's and Diono fits within:
Kia Sedona's
Dodge Carvan (I know its not an 8 seater but my husband is pulling for it so thought I would at least check haha).

Thanks for any responses.

ADS

scoutingbear

In my current experience with Diono seats in a current model
Odyssey, they are not compatible in the captains chairs forward facing. I have gotten one installed correctly in the middle seat of the second row only.

The advantage of the Oddy is that there are top tether locations in most locations. With the Caravan you are limited to only 3 locations and the outboard shoulder belts in the third row sit forward of the seats, causing a poor belt fit for any adults or booster riders. Additionally those spots have no top tether so could only be used for a rear facing seat.

Keep in mind the rules that Diono has for forward facing with the recline foot being down. It makes for a very difficult installation in most vehicles in the forward facing mode.

I'm with you. I hate making decisions in car shopping!

lgenne

Definitely avoid the Caravan if you can. The 3rd row is awful across the board. The outboard 3rd row seats are awful--they work for some very limited high back boosters, and some VERY limited rear facing seats and nothing else.

I wouldn't get another Diono if you get an Odyssey. The second row of the Odyssey is so wide. If you don't care about 3rd row access, plenty of forward facing seats will work in that center spot between Radians where the Radian itself won't work.

And the Odyssey has 6 tether anchors. It's kind of amazing for car seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC