when you've met age but not height/weight, home vs. travel

Littledoe

My 8-1/2-year-old weighs 59-60 lbs and I've forgotten his exact height but I think he's just 3 or 4 inches past 48". He sits without complaint in a Britax Frontier 85 in harness mode in my own vehicle, but when we go out of town and rent a car (which will be soon), I want to bring a backless booster with me. I'm hoping that the airline won't give me any trouble about checking the seat w/o charge even though he's past the age in most (if not all?) states to absolutely require him to be in any kind of child restraint device. Any advice on approaching the airline about this? We are flying Delta. Also, so many people I know seem to get their kids out of restraints just the second they are allowed to legally, so am I being overly cautious with this? At his height/weight, should he still be in a booster, at least? or leave it at home for the trip? I feel as though I look like a "helicopter parent." I used to be a lot more lax with my older two (now grown) kids years ago, so maybe I'm going in the opposite extreme? Advice would be appreciated. Thanks. (btw, I know that I can rent a car seat from the car rental company but would prefer not to unless really necessary)

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

I would get a backless booster. Work with him in it before your trip so he is comfortable and familiar with it. I would also carry it on the plane and stow it in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of him. The Incognito starts at 60 pounds (with clothes and shoes), is lightweight, and can fit in a large backpack. Others may have other ideas for specific seats, too.

As for when to abandon all child restraints, here are a couple links for you that answer your questions:
https://carseatblog.com/3966/the-5-step-test/
https://carseatblog.com/28526/mythbusting-once-a-5-stepper-always-a-5-stepper/

aeormsby

I agree with a NBB for travel at that age and size. We have always either carried on the booster and put it under the seat or over head (when we take the Harmony Youth Boosters) or pack it in a carry-on bag (if we take the Bubblebum or Incognito). We just got back yesterday and my 9yo who sounds about the same size as your DS had the Incognito on the trip. It fit in my larger carry-on suitcase. It is large (in width) and doesn't fit great in carry-on bags but you could always just carry it separately or strap it to the outside of a backpack. I've never been told we can't bring them on (although we never have our limit of carry on items), we do get reminded that they can't be used on the plane if they aren't packed inside a bag.

And I would definitely bring the booster with! Most kids aren't ready to ride without one until they are 10-12 years old. My DD is 11, 4'-10" and about 90lbs and still uses a booster in some vehicles. This was the first trip I didn't bring one with for her in the rental vehicle because she fits without the booster in most vehicles we ride in at home now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC