Question Best Convertiblle Seat for 2000 Ford F150 Extended Cab

ceveschmidt

Hi, we are wanting to put in a second set of convertible seats into our 2000 Ford F150 extended cab. Our kids are 8 months and 3 years. One is rear facing and the other is forward. There is no latch or tether anchors, just seat belts in the back. The seat is also not standard width. A couple questions: Can you forward face a convertible car seat with no top tether? How do you keep the seat belts tight? What would be the best seats for this type of vehicle? Thanks!

ADS

lgenne

Hi and welcome!

There are no standard widths for seat belts or passenger seats, so that shouldn't cause any problems.

It looks like there is plenty of space width-wise, and very little front to back. The other challenge is that the horizontal seat has very little depth, so overhang could be an issue.

For the 8 month old, I would look at the Cosco Scenera NEXT. It's very compact and very affordable.

For the 3 year old, I would go one of 2 ways:

1) Figure out if there is any way to retrofit a tether anchor. (Can someone with LATCH manual confirm?)

2) Rear face. How tall/heavy is s/he?

It's legal to use a forward facing harness without a tether in the US, but it's strongly recommended and very important for safety.

As for keeping seat belts tight, your outboard seats have seat belts with switchable retractors. That means you pull the shoulder belt out until it stops, buckle the car seat in, then feed the shoulder belt back into the retractor. It may make a clicking noise as it goes back in.

I don't see a seat belt for the center position at all in the images I found. Is there a lap only belt there that maybe falls down where it doesn't obviously exist in low resolution photos? If so, those work great for installing rear facing seats. If they have a tail on the end, just buckle and pull the tail until it's tight.

ceveschmidt

Hi, thanks for the reply. My 3 year old is too tall to rear face now so I will have to forward face. There is a lap belt in the middle and I was planning on having the rear facing seat there as it would fit the best. I will try and call the dealership to see if I can get them to install some anchors as I think its mandatory in Canada. Thanks for the car seat recommendation and info!

featherhead

Hi, thanks for the reply. My 3 year old is too tall to rear face now so I will have to forward face. There is a lap belt in the middle and I was planning on having the rear facing seat there as it would fit the best. I will try and call the dealership to see if I can get them to install some anchors as I think its mandatory in Canada. Thanks for the car seat recommendation and info!
How tall and heavy is the 3 year old? As you are in Canada, it is illegal to use a forward-facing seat without a top tether. Definitely check in to getting them added if at all possible.

lgenne

How tall is your 3 year old? And how heavy? Too tall for the seats you have is definitely possible; too tall for any seats on the market seems VERY unlikely.

If you can get tether anchor retrofits, great. If not, we can probably still make it work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC