Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Fox Mulder

RF convertible in 15 Silverado double cab

Hello everyone!
    I'm trying hard to find a great car seat for my lovely 9 month old daughter. She's 22 pounds, and 29 inches. I did the BRU thing, and didn't love any of the seats. We can get my wife's Chicco Nextfit in ok, RF in the center, however the sides are so high it's hard to get her in and out. I tried an Evenflo Stratos, which fit ok, but I can't find many reviews of it. I didn't try any of the Britax seats, because I really wanted to spend less than they were at BRU, but on Amazon it looks like I could get a G4 reasonably. I'm also intrigued with the Diono seats, but there's no place around to try one, so I'm nervous to just order it. My truck is the double cab, which has 4 doors, but is smaller than a real crew cab.

I'm especially interested in the lower sides, and installing with the angle adjuster. My daughter has good head control, but I worry she won't be comfortable.

Anyone with experience with a Diono in a Silverado, or a Diono with the AA and a younger child, please let me know. Double points for pics of the install in a 14 or newer GM double cab, or comments on younger children RF with the angle adjuster. I'd also welcome input on seats that are known to fit, or are compact front to back. I have read the blog post, which is what started me down the Diono and Britax path.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: RF convertible in 15 Silverado double cab

If you're interested in a low profile seat, I would consider the Graco Milestone, or the very similar Graco Slimfit. I have a Milestone and a couple of Radians. The Milestone is more compact (even with the Angle Adjuster for the Radian) and easier to install and use. It's not quite as low profile, but it comes close. Except for certain tight 3-across scenarios, I would choose a Milestone over a Radian any day of the week.

Fox Mulder

Thanks for the info! I tried the slimfit in my truck at BRU and didn't love the way it fit. I don't recall exactly what it was about it (I tried like 10 seats that day!) but it was either how the base fit my seat, or how far the top came between the seats. I should have taken better notes, other than yes or no. Does the milestone have recline adjustments? That seems to be what helps the nextfit work in my truck.

CPS Fanatic

Yes it does. Maybe you didn't try the most upright option? It doesn't have as many recline settings as the Nextfit (6 for the Milestone vs...10? for the Nextfit) and there are more restrictions about which reclines you can use for rear facing, but I think there are 4 you should be able to choose from.

Ok, I'll check out the milestone, along with anything else people suggest. Thanks so much for your help, it's much appreciated!!!

Any other suggestions from anyone? I'd like to have a couple options in mind when I make the 2 hour drive to BRU. Just for reference for others looking, I looked up the milestone and it does have 4 recline angles, however it looks like 2 are for FF and 2 are for RF. I'm still going to to try it out though, based on the info from lgenne, which sounds like it could be a good option.

CPS Fanatic

Oops, you're right. I was confusing it with the Graco Extend2Fit.

Which would also be worth trying, both the base model and the 3-in-1 model. They're not quite as low profile as the Milestone, but they're pretty decent.