Travelling with a 14 month baby in a long haul flight

Maria Helena

Dear authors,

Congrats fot the site. I am travelling for the first time with my baby in a few months and I am freaking out. I am reading a ton of information and as I am Brazilian I struggle a little with the english terms, trying to adapt to my reality and find the safety products here in my country. I have already accepted that I will buy a seat for my 14 month baby, even though it will be extremelly expensive. Airlines actually doesn´t offer any discounts on seats for babies. I am flying on Delta.

So I should look for carseats without the base, right? That can be restrained only by the lap seat belt.

But my real question is, after purchasing the seats, the carseat, and everything else, how does the entire flight goes on? Does the child need to stay ALL the time on the carseat? How does the child sleep during the 10-hour-flight? Seated on the car seat? I am concerned because my son has always slept on his crib, with arms and legs wide streched, he turns to one side, to the other, flips upside down, etc. I am concerned he won´t be able to spend all the 10 hours seated on the carseat. unfortunately he will be too big for the skycot.

Thank you so much in advance for any insights on babys sleep during the flight.

ADS

Dillipop

Do you own a car seat for your vehicle? If so, your child can ride on the plane in that if it is marked as safe for air travel. But you might also want to check with the airline you are flying with in the countries you are flying and verify they will allow you to use a car seat on the plane. Delta allows car seats on their US based flights but I don't know if they've adopted that policy worldwide.

As for the trip itself- I keep my kids in their seats for take off and landing and definitely any time the seatbelt sign is on. If I need to attend to them, I do it when the sign is off. That's diapers, walks up and down the aisles to stretch legs, etc.

As for sleeping, my kids sleep really well in their car seats, both in the car and in the air. Hopefully you find out your son also sleeps well in the air in his seat. If not, I've been known to get mine to sleep on my lap while the seatbelt sign is off and then transfer them to their seat when they fall asleep.

Bring lots of snacks and activities to entertain your toddler. We've had good luck with post it notes for him to pull apart and stick every where. Small cars, coloring, videos on my phone, etc.

Maria Helena

14-month baby on an airplane - help

Dear sirs,

I will be travelling with my baby in a fez months. He will be 14 months then. I am freaking out and after reading so many articles on turbulence, against all friends opinions, I bought him a seat. But I still have no carseat. I live in Brazil and we don´t have FAA approved carseats. I will have to buy online and have it delivered to my home (another lots of money, but what the heck, children are expensive, right?)

My question is, is the baby supposed to sleep all the 10 hours IN the carseat? Is it healthy? How do you handle the sleep issue? Do the children actually sleep at the carseats?

I am thinking on buying the Graco size4me as it seems to be more confortable for sleeping. What do you think?

kookaburra

Dear sirs,

I will be travelling with my baby in a fez months. He will be 14 months then. I am freaking out and after reading so many articles on turbulence, against all friends opinions, I bought him a seat. But I still have no carseat. I live in Brazil and we don´t have FAA approved carseats. I will have to buy online and have it delivered to my home (another lots of money, but what the heck, children are expensive, right?)

My question is, is the baby supposed to sleep all the 10 hours IN the carseat? Is it healthy? How do you handle the sleep issue? Do the children actually sleep at the carseats?

I am thinking on buying the Graco size4me as it seems to be more confortable for sleeping. What do you think?
If you are in your seat, with your seatbelt fastened, the baby should be fastened in the car seat. But it is unlikely the baby will sleep for the entire flight. If you are flying during nap time or at night, the chances are greater for sleeping. But it is not a guarantee.

mamah

That seems like a big seat for an airplane. How big is the child? I would look at the Cosco scenera Next.

For a ten hour flight? No, none of my kids could stay in their seat 10 hours. They would need a diaper change and likely food/water, unless it happened to match perfectly with bedtime.

Maria Helena

The flight matches perfectly the bedtime. From 10pm to 5am... I was hoping to buy the most confortable carseat. So I could induce sleeping better. I saw also the Evenflo Symphony. Seems to be a very confortable carseat...

MelodyoftheForest

The Symphony is comfy but really big. Wider than the Graco Size4Me. If your baby sleeps on a firm mattress in the crib, I don't think you need to worry too much about comfort. The Scenera NEXT is a great seat for traveling as long as your baby fits in it. How tall and heavy is the baby?

Maria Helena

Hi! Thank you for the help. He is now 11-month-old, 28" and 18 pounds. But we will travel in september, although I think he won't be much more tall or heavy. He is a small child.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC