Denying a carseat on Canadian Airline

U

Unregistered

In the US the FAA states that an airline cannot refuse use of a certified CARS. Is there a law for Canada too? Sunwing says I cannot use my car seat on board for my 3 yr old

ADS

Dillipop

Transport Canada highly recommends using a car seat. I can't find if they can require an airline to allow a seat though.

Here is a link to Sunwing's policies- http://www.flysunwing.com/travelinfo/specialassistance.asp

I'm reading it to say they allow seats if you've purchased a seat. They focus on the under 2 set. It talk about a harness for 1-4 and link to Transport Canada guidelines. I'd call back and see if you can find someone more knowledgeable.

And hopefully someone with more Canadian info will come along and help you out with the Transport Canada rules.

cantabdad

My reading of Transport Canada's advisory circular is that it does not go quite as far as the US FAA in terms of requiring air carriers to allow parents to use carseats onboard. That being said, Sunwing's stated policy on their website seems OK -- you are permitted to bring the carseat onboard as long as you purchased a seat for the child, which obviously is required anyway for a 3-year-old. This seems like more of a case of a telephone representative not knowing the real details, which happens all the time. Flight attendants can also be a little hazy on some of the details, so I would bring a copy of the carseat policy with you (printed or on your phone) just in case. Gate agents can also be a little over-zealous in trying to check or gate-check anything that they perceive as "excess" carry-on baggage on full flights, so you have to be firm with them that you plan to install the carseat onboard.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC