New CT Car Seat Law

MelodyoftheForest

A private car seat check company here in CT made this nice infographic about the new law that will come into effect in October assuming the governor signs it: https://www.facebook.com/LittleRide...6086.108093535900479/1455855941124225/?type=3

I will summarize here also: Must be at least 24 months and at least 30 pounds to FF. Must be 5 and 40 pounds to booster. Must booster until at least age 8 and 60 pounds. Previously, minimum FF was 1 year and 20 pounds, and booster use was only required to age 6 and 60 pounds.

This is obviously an improvement, but I am not a huge fan of some of the weight limits, especially the RF to FF limit. I understand there is more reasoning behind the lower limit to booster. The 60 pound no-booster limit seems low to me. My LO might be 30 pounds by the time she turns 4. I feel like it limits families that need more options. I wish they would have stuck with age and said something about fitting properly in the seatbelt to end booster use. I wrote my representatives about this, but it didn't change. It is one of those pre-written laws from an organization (AAA maybe).

What are your thoughts?

ADS

flutie128

I don't love weight limits since kids come in all shapes and sizes. My DS was 30 pounds by 15 months while my older DD wasn't 30 until 3 or 3.5. My older DD is 9 and not even 60 pounds yet while my DS was 60 by about 6 or 7 I believe. I think upping the limits is nice though. Hopefully there will be some information about it available for parents.

MelodyoftheForest

I agree with you on all points! Our pediatrician had a flier with the old law posted and talked about it to me at V's 12 month visit. I was very disappointed they weren't talking about the AAP recommendations!

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Ha ha... that's me, I made that graphic! :)

Currently CT is age 7 (*over age 6*) and 60lbs to booster.

If signed, there's going to be lots of education needed. Already some of my tech colleagues have misinterpreted the statute as 2 or 30, 5 or 40, etc...which isn't accurate. And if they're doing it, John Q Public will as well.

It's not perfect, but it's better than the current statute overall. So we'll see what Malloy does!

MelodyoftheForest

Thanks for the graphic and the correction! It has been a while since I read the law. I shared your graphic because it is so clear and I have a number of parent friends in the state. My SIL commented because under the proposed law she would have been bound to keep her carsick 2y9mo daughter RF. She is almost 4 and still not 30 pounds. She lives in another state, but she saw that flaw with the weight limit. I am lucky to have a daughter who does not get carsick, but again she will probably not hit 30 pounds until around when she turns 4. That works for me, but not for everyone!

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Thanks for the graphic and the correction! It has been a while since I read the law. I shared your graphic because it is so clear and I have a number of parent friends in the state. My SIL commented because under the proposed law she would have been bound to keep her carsick 2y9mo daughter RF. She is almost 4 and still not 30 pounds. She lives in another state, but she saw that flaw with the weight limit. I am lucky to have a daughter who does not get carsick, but again she will probably not hit 30 pounds until around when she turns 4. That works for me, but not for everyone!

You're welcome, I'm glad it was clear! :)

And to clarify, there IS a medical exemption in the law. It's not something I'd want to encourage parents to take advantage of unless absolutely necessary, but it does exist. So in a circumstance like your SIL, she'd have the option of speaking to her dd's pediatrician and obtaining the necessary documentation and then turning her FF (even under the new law, if signed).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC