Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

AWD or 4WD Vehicle Options

Last summer we moved to the mountains. I have a Mazda 5 which I love, but it was terrible in the snow. I need to purchase a vehicle with AWD or 4WD before this coming winter. I would like to stay away from full-size SUV's, but love having 3 rows. I only have DD12, but often have her friends or cousins in the car. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    DD Jan 2005
    RF to 3 1/2 years; Harnessed to 7 1/2 years; Now Boostered

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Re: AWD or 4WD Vehicle Options

Did you get snow tires for your Mazda? I know ours sucks in the snow but we don't change out the tires. I wonder how it would do with good snow tires on it?

I'd probably look at Subarus, if they have a 3 row option.

CCO 4/15

Quote Originally Posted by Dillipop View Post
    Did you get snow tires for your Mazda? I know ours sucks in the snow but we don't change out the tires. I wonder how it would do with good snow tires on it?

I'd probably look at Subarus, if they have a 3 row option.
    I didn't get snow tires. That's a good thought though. I will look into that. Much cheaper and I could keep my car.
    DD Jan 2005
    RF to 3 1/2 years; Harnessed to 7 1/2 years; Now Boostered

Carseat Crazy

If you're still looking for vehicle options, I would suggest looking into a Nissan Pathfinder. We purchased one in 2015 while living in Colorado. It had excellent handling in the snow there, and has a high clearance which was nice for driving on roads that had snow ruts in them.