Easy rear-facing seatbelt installation for toddler

S

starr_692

We just bought a truck with a full back seat that doesn't have tethers (Toyota Tacoma).

Our toddler is about 30 lbs, average to short height, 2 1/2. We're looking for a seat that's easy to install with a seatbelt and will last rear facing for a while.

Baby 2 is on the way (November), so narrow width is a plus. shorter front to back is also a plus.

I'm intrigued by the britax clicktight boulevard - his seat in the other car is the non click tight version that he's been in since an infant. However - is there another, perhaps more cost effective, option that I should be considering? Maybe a convertible that starts at a higher weight limit?

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

The G4.1 Britax seats like the one you have should be easy to install with the seat belt since they have lock-offs. Have you tried installing his Boulevard in the truck? It might just work, and be cheaper than the ClickTight. Is your Boulevard new enough to allow rear-facing to 1" below the extended headrest? If so, it should last until your toddler is 40 pounds.

Here is an article listing all the seats with lock-offs, which I find make a seat belt install much simpler: https://carseatblog.com/?s=lockoffs&x=0&y=0

If you would like to spend less, we can give you suggestions. If your Boulevard works in the truck, maybe use it there and we can suggest a cheaper option that is good with LATCH for your other car.

S

starr_692

His boulevard doesn't have lock offs - it's the G4. We got it installed fairly well, but I don't trust the installation quite as much. Seatbelt learning curve, likely. It did seem extra vertical because of the slope of the seat - perhaps not an issue, but I was planning to bring it by a clinic to confirm.

Perhaps the G4.1 is a good option. Is the main difference adding the lock off? If we're having a levelness issue would that probably continue? That is a very useful table. If we know the belt locks if we fully extend it, does the lock off help much?

I figured it was a good option to keep the Britax G4 with the latch in the '06 pontiac vibe (should last until 40 pounds, with latch, no installation issues). Then, forward face it or use it for the baby and get something different for toddler. We'll need seats in both cars.

I guess when all is said an done, we'll need two good seatbelt installs in the back of a truck - one for a toddler, one for an infant. Maybe that's what I should be asking! I'd lean towards convertible for both as the first kid would have outgrown most infant seats in months - he grew really fast before he slowed down.

Perhaps there's a rear facing option without a lockoff that has a good belt path or easier belt installation?

Dillipop

All boulevards have had lockoffs, even the originals. Look under the cover in the rearfacing belt path for them.

The Blvd with lockoffs is probably the easiest install I've had of a rearfacing seat other than the click tights.

S

starr_692

I had no idea! Thank you! We'll try to get a good installation with the britax and lockoffs in the truck - I think there's a seat check this Saturday we can stop by.

So - follow up -

What seat would you suggest for a second seat in the truck with a seatbelt installation? Could be for either the toddler or the baby - both will rearface til they can't.

And as a separate piece - suggested seats for the pontiac vibe? right and left sides have latches, center is just belt. two new seats needed. Slight possibility of three across at some point so I wouldn't mind seats that may work for that.

MelodyoftheForest

I believe all the seats with lockoffs generally fit average newborns well. The Roundabout may be outgrown before 40 pounds because it is shorter, but it is the least expensive, and you can pass down the Boulevard when needed. For lower anchor installs in the Vibe, the Cosco Scenera NEXT, available for under $50 at Walmart, would be a good option for the newborn if you want to start with a convertible. The Graco Milestone is popular around here and would have extended life as a highback booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC