Help me keep my toddler Rearfacing past 2

Beloved

I know RF is safest, but I have turned at (or just before) 2 with my oldest and middle. With my oldest my goal was 2 and I turned him at 21 months because I couldn't get his Scenera from tipping (being 8 months pregnant the first time trying to install it didn't help) and didn't understand the continuous harness so one side was always tighter digging into his neck. With my middle my goal was 3, but turned at 2 for no real reason other than moving her to the passenger side and it being more difficult to buckle her being 8 months pregnant.

My youngest will be 2 in August and I really need to keep her RF. I have no reason to turn her - not pregnant, not moving her, and not outgrowing her seat. The difficulties (real or imagined) are getting her in when she doesn't want to and can push her feet onto the back of the vehicle seat so I can't buckle her, leg room, and the super reclined angle of the single-line recline. I know her legs are safe, but might make it easier to buckle her with more room. The seats I have to work with are the old style Scenera (2013) a Guide (2014) and a SureRide (2014). I love the Scenera until about 2, then it gets harder to use. I have only used the Guide once (given by trusted friend) but the headrest pushes her head forward and the straps twisted every time I hooked her. Not liking it except the low sides that make it easy for DD to get in and not expiring until 2024. It seemed to have less leg room than the Scenera, maybe because I installed more upright. My middle girl is using the SureRide FF. I really hate trying to get it installed RF. It is also very deep which makes getting DD in really hard.

To use the seats I have I can use the Scerera until she outgrows it then move her to the SureRide when she is older and can climb in each time. Right now she is 26lbs and 32in. If I don't want to use the SureRide, what fairly inexpensive seat has low sides, more leg room, easy to install RF, and higher Height/Weight limit than the Scenera? I might be asking too much, but the convenience things might make it easier to keep her RF when I never thought I needed a nicer seat. Thanks for any advice even if just to say her legs are fine and just put her in the seat ;).

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Do you have a budget in mind? What vehicle do you have?

My children had no trouble climbing in at that age, is it just a cooperation issue? I also don't find the SureRide difficult rear-facing; what problems are you having?

As for getting in a fighting toddler, I find that MUCH easier rear-facing than forward (where they can stiff-body slide all the way to the floor.) Have you tried the scoop-and-plop or tummy tickling?

brooksfamily

Diono R100? I'm not sure if you consider it budget friendly enough, but it has low sides, and will give you more rf legroom. I saw it for $159 on one website and $187 at Albee baby. Not sure if that is over budget or not.

I had to switch my daughter to a Diono seat in my car for similar reasons and it was way easier to get her in with the low side and extra leg room.

It also sounds like if you have a 2011 scenera it's about to expire if it hasn't already. If it's DOM is 2011, I believe it's only good for 6 years.

Beloved

I have a 2004 Odyssey and she is in the captain's chair behind driver. No one in other middle row seat. 2 older kids in 3rd row. I'd say under $100 or maybe $125 for budget. Since we have seats she fits in it seems silly to buy something. I was wrong on the dates - Scenera is from 2013 so doesn't expire until the end of 2019 and the SureRide is from 2014 and expires in 2020.

The problem with the SureRide is trying to get it installed RF the leg/foot hits on the latch connectors and with the seat-belt the buckle hits the edge/belt path so it's almost impossible to tighten. Most likely I just need a better technique. Also, the high sides just make the kid climbing in hard. She can get in the Scenera and I mostly don't have trouble getting her hooked (usually the last stop after errands is the one she fights). Right now the Scenera is working, I just know what I did with the last 2 and want to set myself up for not just turning her at 2.

Didn't think about the sliding out if FF. I will keep that in mind.

I have wanted a Radian ever since I saw one. Maybe I can save up and convince my hubby it's a good investment. He's not interested in ERF but won't change the way she faces. When looking at seats it seems there are all sorts of trade-offs and one aspect can be what one wants (high sides for added protection) is what another doesn't want (for ease of getting in).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep, the Contender was going to be one of my suggestions too.

The Diono seats are beasts to install rf in that car. I wouldn't recommend it especially for the amount of money they cost and the increasingly difficult usage.

For the SureRide, have you twisted down the buckle stalk? Pulled back the cover when tightening?

Beloved

Yep, the Contender was going to be one of my suggestions too.

The Diono seats are beasts to install rf in that car. I wouldn't recommend it especially for the amount of money they cost and the increasingly difficult usage.

For the SureRide, have you twisted down the buckle stalk? Pulled back the cover when tightening?

I was thinking the Radian would be harder and much heavier than I am used to. I will look at the Contender. I got confused looking at the Graco seats with all the different models.

For the SureRide I didn't twist the buckle stalk - that might be what I was missing. I did pull back the cover to tighten.

Thank you for your help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC