Help with UK travel

Hazelandlucy

Well, I am super excited because I think my oldest is at an age where this 2x year trip can be way easier. It's truly been the biggest hassle with transporting carseats. I have been bringing Britax Clicktights and G4's and using them on the plane and lugging them around through many airports. It was hard to find a light travel seat that was easy to install with a seat belt (no latch in car) and had lockoffs (non locking seatbelt). This summer I want to do it as easy as possible. MIL car now has latch and we now rent one as well. I want a super easy light convertible that is very easy install for my 3.3 yr old (38 inches, 36 lbs). I turned her around last week so she forward faces now. But my question is a booster for my 5.5 yr old. I want that experience of no seat or just the backless part of a booster to carry around. Would you buy one from the UK and keep it there and totally avoid any airport lugging (train from airport and met by MIL who would have booster)? Or bring a light one back and forth and use it as a travel seat for any domestic trips in future - what ones are easy to pack the back part in a suitcase? Do the backs take up a ton of room? Is that folding booster any good and is it more cumbersome to travel with than just the seat part of a regular booster? This will be her first time in a booster if it matters, she is 42 inches, 42 lbs. Thank you!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you don't have to lug it I would buy a UK high back instead.

For your younger child why a convertible? Why not a Maestro- taller than most convertibles, light and allows lower anchors a long time, and narrower for easier plane use?

Hazelandlucy

Thanks, I had not even thought of a combination seat!

If I do buy a booster here, is there one that is especially easy to take apart and that fits well in a suitcase?

Or if I buy a 3 -1 deal (like harness, highback, backless) so older DD can stay harnessed (not sure if that matters at her age), could I still take the back part off and pack it or is that a pain when still in harness mode?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That's going to be a pain.

If you can guarantee ISOFIX plus- lower anchors AND top tethers- in your mom's car, you could look at the IMMI Go for your older daughter. It is expensive but could be passed down, when she outgrows it, and then you can buy a cheap high back for her instead.

Hazelandlucy

Is there a big quality or conveniece difference between Yumi folding booster and Immi Go?
Never mind, I just googled and see it's a harnessed seat. I will look more into it. Is that Yumi booster easy to use?

Hazelandlucy

I think a booster that comes apart and I can pack will actually be easier than carrying a folded up booster around. I am also worried it won't be allowed in the overhead bin if it's a crowded flight - do they have to allow anything that fits the carry on size criteria?

What will fit a 42" kid well? Her torso is 16". I was looking at the Graco Affix, Turbobooster, and the Evenflo Amp. But I don't really know what's out there. Open to anything that is light and comes apart for travel and fits well in a suitcase.

Thank you!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Turbo (and Affix since it's basically the same just with LATCH) is well-known for being a good fit for almost all kids who fit in almost all vehicles. The Amp is iffy on smaller kids in some vehicles. (The Big Kid usually is a bit more reliable.)

I've been happy with the Turbo for my kids.

Hazelandlucy

So I have asked this before, but every year I get more "relaxed" and my kids more persistent lol. Have these seats improved at all?

I am thinking of getting the Skye one for my 3 yr old. She would not be on the top slots harnessed - I know they used to not be reinforced.

I would also use latch so not dealing with that belt path except on the plane - a 38 lb 3 yr old still needs a seat, right?

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oooh. Ok.

That is a seat I'm personally never comfortable recommending. If you'd like to talk more about why please pm me.

Hazelandlucy

We went and sat in a bunch of boosters. She hates head protection and like the seats that had smaller head wings. Her favorite is the Evenflo Big Kid Sport (apparently I was wrong about the height limit). However her real favorite is the Fruit Punch Safety 1st Store n Go we have only seen online - all based on the color.

Any opinions on these two seats? She is actually 43" now so would fit the SNG.

We are renting a midsize SUV, not sure the actual model.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Store N Go can fit some smaller riders well and others not much; if you buy online go for somewhere with easy returns.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC