Help arrange 4 carseats in Sienna!

laudymama

We are expecting baby #4 in August and I just can't wrap my mind around 4 carseats in the car! I feel like I should be able to figure this out but this was a big surprise and I was loving our setup, so this really changes things. We currently have 2 RF advocates 3rd row driver and passenger side and a pinnacle in the passenger captain chair with the other captain chair removed (goodbye space!:() When baby arrives we will have a 2nd grader (pinnacle-harnessed) who needs easy access for carpool, and 2 in preschool I need to get in and out + baby. The 2 yr old will remain RF and the 4 yr old we are undecided as she is very small for her age and extremely immature with behavioral and emotional issues, but will likely turn her around except for road trips. My thoughts were 7yr old (pinnacle) and 4yr old (FF advocate) 3rd row passenger and driver respectively. Passenger captain chair 2yr old (RF advocate) moved toward center to allow easier access for carpool from 3rd row And driver side captain chair baby (primo Viaggio 4/35). Thoughts??? Better suggestions or things I'm forgetting/not thinking of are all very welcome!:)
Almost forgot... this is in a 2008 Sienna XLE
Also should probably add that 7yr old is completely self sufficent at buckling and we are really working with 4yr old, she is close but not quite able to buckle 100% of the time.

ADS

flutie128

That setup sounds like a good idea but where are the tether anchors in the back row? I had a 2006 and the anchors were passenger side and middle. I don't think you would be able to fit those to seat next to each other to use tether anchors side by side.

Dillipop

2008 Sienna doesn't have an anchor on the driver's side in the third row. However, if you can still use latch for the advocate, you can install it in the center of the third row and have a tether.

Dillipop

Another option- leave your setup as is but put back in the other captains chair. Put the base on the captains chair but when you are loading the third row kids, place the infant seat on the driver's seat while getting kids past the base and into their seats. Once the other kids are set, place the infant seat into the base.

laudymama

I knew there had to be things I wasn't thinking of since all this is overwhelming me as it is! There are only 2 tether anchors on 3rd row next to each other and the seats definitely won't fit together. One of the advocates does expire in November, but we would either be getting the same seat and she would just use it until baby is ready to move out of carrier and into it or we'd be getting another pinnacle or frontier or use the performance sport the oldest outgrew harness height on. This is so disappointing! I just want the new setup to be as easy for daily use as it can possibly be and it's seeming like there isn't going to be an ideal solution. How is the Sienna for 3rd row boosters? Just thinking ahead to when I have 3 FF... at that point my oldest will be using booster for sure. DH suggested possibly trading the van in for a newer model/less mileage and it could help the latch situation too, but I really love ours so just thinking it out!

lgenne

If your 3rd row is working for you, I wouldn't mess with it. I assume you are buckling through the tailgate? If you have to get in there anyway, buckling 2 kids isn't much harder than buckling 1.

Once the baby is ready for a more upright seat, then the current 4 year old can FF in a captain's chair, and the baby and current 2yo can RF in the 3rd row.

Once you have 3 FFers, I believe that 3rd row is good for boosters. Alternatively, you could put the 7 year old in a booster now (start training before the baby comes--if your kid is developing typically, 7 is totally fine for a booster) and put a booster plus a FF harnessed seat for the 4 year old in the 3rd row.

laudymama

If your 3rd row is working for you, I wouldn't mess with it. I assume you are buckling through the tailgate? If you have to get in there anyway, buckling 2 kids isn't much harder than buckling 1.

Once the baby is ready for a more upright seat, then the current 4 year old can FF in a captain's chair, and the baby and current 2yo can RF in the 3rd row.

Once you have 3 FFers, I believe that 3rd row is good for boosters. Alternatively, you could put the 7 year old in a booster now (start training before the baby comes--if your kid is developing typically, 7 is totally fine for a booster) and put a booster plus a FF harnessed seat for the 4 year old in the 3rd row.

I currently have the driver captains chair removed and have complete access to 3rd row for buckling. We have and will have a double stroller (and usually a single also) in the hatch so no access for tailgate buckling:-\ Once the baby moves into a convertible it could definitely work though, so I guess the biggest thing is getting through the first year or so and figuring out the best seating arrangements.
As for the 7yr old, he still falls asleep regularly in the car and slumps over, hence why I've chosen to keep him harnessed. I have tried to teach him to put his head up and back to sleep but no progress! We do plan to install his old performance sport in DH truck in the meantime to start booster training though, since he would just be making quick trips to the store, etc and no worries of sleeping.

Dillipop

If you don't mind getting a new seat, there are seats that fit in that middle spot in the third row next to a frontier when installed with the seatbelt. I have gotten a sunshine kids radian there before, though it's a tough install.

laudymama

If you don't mind getting a new seat, there are seats that fit in that middle spot in the third row next to a frontier when installed with the seatbelt. I have gotten a sunshine kids radian there before, though it's a tough install.

Getting a new seat is a consideration, although it's a pinnacle so it has the huge side "airbags". We have a radian we used to keep DS RF with his monster torso at age 2 back when it was the only RF height option available for him and then used it for grandma's car until he outgrew it completely. I despised that seat! It was so hard to install and never adjusted easily so I would prefer to avoid it. I'd have to check the expiration too because it is probably getting close. We really backed ourselves in buying the advocates/pinnacle since they don't fit next to much of anything, but we also never thought we'd have to worry about 4 carseats 😄

Dillipop

How about- reinstall driver captains chair and move passenger chair to the center. Put 2 year old rearfacing 3rd row driver and the base for the infant seat 3rd row passenger. Place infant seat on floor of second row out of the way as you buckle 2 year old in and then move the infant seat into the base. That would leave room in the center row for the older 2 kids and you could keep the 4 year old rearfacing if you want on the driver's side and have the pinnacle in the center. Leaves easy access for school drop off and relatively easy access for the kiddos in the third row.

momtoo3

How about- reinstall driver captains chair and move passenger chair to the center. Put 2 year old rearfacing 3rd row driver and the base for the infant seat 3rd row passenger. Place infant seat on floor of second row out of the way as you buckle 2 year old in and then move the infant seat into the base. That would leave room in the center row for the older 2 kids and you could keep the 4 year old rearfacing if you want on the driver's side and have the pinnacle in the center. Leaves easy access for school drop off and relatively easy access for the kiddos in the third row.
This would be my suggestion too.
Or 2yr old rf 3rd row driver, 4 yr old ff 3rd row passenger, infant rf 2nd row driver and 7 yr old 2nd row passenger either moved middle or left to the side (depends on what is easier for you to access 2 yr old in 3rd row.) You could switch 4 yr old with 7 yr old like that too but I would want 7 yr old next to baby for the help factor. If you don't think you would need older child to help with baby (my 4th was my screamer and I appreciated the help) or 4 yr old could help, then put 7 yr old in 3rd row to help buckle 2 yr old.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC