RF instal tipping - need ideas for seats

vrclay

Need recs for a RF seat that I can install that won't tip, slide, etc for 7 MO 21lb infant. I used a Britax convertible seat 8 & 6 years ago in different vehicles and never had a problem. This time around, I can't seem to get the Graco size4me seat to install without eventually slipping out of place. It seems tight, no movement at belt path but then when the seat is used and/or bumped by older passengers, it tips out of place. Have tried installing with the seatbelt center and driver in a 2013 Forester and driver side of 2013 Sienna. I would rather install with the seatbelt than LATCH because eventually he will get too big for the weight limits. (or tell me if I'm being silly and should try the LATCH) I'm so through. I took it out and put him back in the infant seat for now till I can figure it out.

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

Try the LATCH install. It can make all the difference on seats without lockoffs. Can't you use the lower anchors to the RF weight limit of the seat? Then you don't have to worry until it is time to FF anyway!

vrclay

I'll try the LATCH in the Toyota. Was hoping to keep him in the center position in the Forester (to separate the big ones) so no LATCH there. For some reason I was thinking the weight limit of the LATCH was 30 pounds. Any recs for seats with lock offs?

MelodyoftheForest

Your seat should have a sticker with the LATCH limits if it was made in the last few years. The guideline is now 65lb minus the weight of the seat = child weight limit. I think they sometimes round down the child weight for RF and round up for FF to the nearest 5 pounds.

There are a few brands with lockoffs. I have a Chicco Nextfit Zip that I really like. All the Britax convertibles and the Cleks have them also. They are all on the pricey side, except for the Britax Roundabout, but it isn't very tall. They all have the same RF weight limit of 40 pounds, but only the Britax seats (except the Roundabout) and the Nextfit are actually tall enough to get most kids to the weight limit. I don't know what seats your older kids are in, if any, so you may have to try some and see what works for you.

Another option is a locking clip, but it may or may not work well in your vehicle with your seat.

lgenne

The LATCH weight limit for the Size4Me is 42 pounds, so you don't have to use a seat belt install rear facing at all, unless LATCH is unavailable.

vrclay

The LATCH weight limit for the Size4Me is 42 pounds, so you don't have to use a seat belt install rear facing at all, unless LATCH is unavailable.

This is great news. It's been a while since I've done the RFing thing (5 years!) and I have new seats and new cars. This is better too because the captains chair slides forward and back which messes up the carseat installation if the seat is accidentally moved back...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC