Boosters in cars with fixed headrests such as Volvo XC60 and XC90

Cnidaria

Does anyone have info at their fingertips about high-back boosters in cars with fixed, angled-forward headrests such as the Volvo XC60? Also having the same problem in a Mercedes E350 with headrests that raise and lower but don't remove.

The Chicco KidFit and Graco Turbobooster LX/Affix, in their manuals, pretty clearly don't allow a gap between the back of the booster and the vehicle seat.

There is the Volvo high-back booster, right? Expensive. Has anyone actually used it?

I recall hearing something about the Clek Oobr being able to be used with a gap, if LATCH can be used? Can anyone confirm this?

Of course, backless is an option but let's assume that high-back is strongly desired.

ADS

Cnidaria

Ooh, right, the Rodifix! Thanks, I will look into that.

Any techs have actual experience working with boosters in these types of vehicles? Or folks who own these vehicles have anything to add?

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I can confirm as a former XC60 owner that Oobr did work well in that vehicle, because when used with LATCH, it had a recline mode that left a gap at the bottom and had contact at the headrest. :)

CPST_girlmom

I've used both a Rodifix and an Oobr in a couple of different Volvos. The Oobr always fit, though it is wider at the point where you buckle than the Rodifix and thus it's hard for my seven-year-old to buckle herself into it. My ten-year-old is able to buckle without issues and likes the seat a lot.

Rodifix allows a gap only if it's not too large. I sent Dorel pictures of the fit in both vehicles, and they were fine with one of them, but not the other. Rodifix was much easier to buckle than Oobr, though, and my then six-year-old strongly preferred it.

In short, I think Oobr pretty much always will work in a Volvo, but whether or not Rodifix will work depends on the seat contouring in the individual vehicle. I'd find one to test out before I bought it for this situation.

Ireland

I have a real problem with finding car seats for my XC 90 I have tried a number of car seats - with isofix and none of them sit flush to the back of the car seat. There is a huge gap between the back of the child seat and the car seat. Has anyone found a flush fit???

MelodyoftheForest

Are you in Ireland as your profile name and use of the word isofix suggest? If so, I would recommend starting a new thread with plenty of details in the Canadian and International section of this forum. That way you can get suggestions of seats that are available to you.

Ireland

Thank you for your advice. No I'm not in Ireland. I put the question here as it was an existing thread. I will put one in the International thread - but I don't expect much response.

hhwang1224

Has anyone else found a high-back booster seat that fits into the Volvo XC60? I have a 2017 model as well and want to see if there are options in addition to the Oobr. Thank you.

mollymcbaby

Has anyone else found a high-back booster seat that fits into the Volvo XC60? I have a 2017 model as well and want to see if there are options in addition to the Oobr. Thank you.

The product manuals for the Diono high-back boosters state that a gap is acceptable so long as the top of the booster touches the the headrest/vehicle seat. I’ve ordered the Everett NXT, which will be delivered in a few days, so I’ll see if it works.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC