Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Boosters in cars with fixed headrests such as Volvo XC60 and XC90

Does anyone have info at their fingertips about high-back boosters in cars with fixed, angled-forward headrests such as the Volvo XC60? Also having the same problem in a Mercedes E350 with headrests that raise and lower but don't remove.

The Chicco KidFit and Graco Turbobooster LX/Affix, in their manuals, pretty clearly don't allow a gap between the back of the booster and the vehicle seat.

There is the Volvo high-back booster, right? Expensive. Has anyone actually used it?

I recall hearing something about the Clek Oobr being able to be used with a gap, if LATCH can be used? Can anyone confirm this?

Of course, backless is an option but let's assume that high-back is strongly desired.
    Mom to tall guy, 6, in a Frontier 90 and Graco Affix
    - - - and small guy (not so small any more!), 3, RFing in a Clek Fllo and Cosco Scenera NEXT

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Re: Boosters in cars with fixed headrests such as Volvo XC60 and XC90

The Cleck can have a gap if the rigid latch is used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCO 4/15

4. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

I think the Rodifix can, too.

6. Thank You from:

Ooh, right, the Rodifix! Thanks, I will look into that.

Any techs have actual experience working with boosters in these types of vehicles? Or folks who own these vehicles have anything to add?
    - - - and small guy (not so small any more!), 3, RFing in a Clek Fllo and Cosco Scenera NEXT

I can confirm as a former XC60 owner that Oobr did work well in that vehicle, because when used with LATCH, it had a recline mode that left a gap at the bottom and had contact at the headrest.
    DD (9 years old) & DS (6.5 years old)

9. Thank You from:

Thank you!

I've used both a Rodifix and an Oobr in a couple of different Volvos. The Oobr always fit, though it is wider at the point where you buckle than the Rodifix and thus it's hard for my seven-year-old to buckle herself into it. My ten-year-old is able to buckle without issues and likes the seat a lot.

Rodifix allows a gap only if it's not too large. I sent Dorel pictures of the fit in both vehicles, and they were fine with one of them, but not the other. Rodifix was much easier to buckle than Oobr, though, and my then six-year-old strongly preferred it.

In short, I think Oobr pretty much always will work in a Volvo, but whether or not Rodifix will work depends on the seat contouring in the individual vehicle. I'd find one to test out before I bought it for this situation.

12. Thank You from:

I have a real problem with finding car seats for my XC 90 I have tried a number of car seats - with isofix and none of them sit flush to the back of the car seat. There is a huge gap between the back of the child seat and the car seat. Has anyone found a flush fit???

Carseat Crazy

Are you in Ireland as your profile name and use of the word isofix suggest? If so, I would recommend starting a new thread with plenty of details in the Canadian and International section of this forum. That way you can get suggestions of seats that are available to you.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer, Boulevard G4, and SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

Thank you for your advice. No I'm not in Ireland. I put the question here as it was an existing thread. I will put one in the International thread - but I don't expect much response.

Has anyone else found a high-back booster seat that fits into the Volvo XC60? I have a 2017 model as well and want to see if there are options in addition to the Oobr. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by hhwang1224 View Post
    Has anyone else found a high-back booster seat that fits into the Volvo XC60? I have a 2017 model as well and want to see if there are options in addition to the Oobr. Thank you.
    The product manuals for the Diono high-back boosters state that a gap is acceptable so long as the top of the booster touches the the headrest/vehicle seat. I’ve ordered the Everett NXT, which will be delivered in a few days, so I’ll see if it works.