Best of No Good

longstocking

I just want to vent. I am super frustrated right now. We are expecting baby #5 in August. We have the worst van ever for 5 car seats. An '09 Dodge Grand Caravan. We aren't in a position to get a new car so I have to make due with what we've got. I have been researching like crazy (thank you to my car seat tech and best friend Holly!) I finally figured out an acceptable solution for all the kids.
3 year old FF in a Pioneer 2nd row.
38lb almost 5 year old FF in her Evenflo Securekid also in the 2nd row.
Sonti infant seat outboard 3rd row
Bubble Bum middle 3rd row for my about (need to get exact) 55lb 55" tall almost 9 year old,
and Amp high back booster for my almost 8 year old, who's also around 55lb and 55" tall.
Husband has never cared about car seats before. He's a bit lax and will run a quick errand to the store with 3 year old just using big brothers booster since that's what he's got in his car. Despite my hard line car seat craziness he just kind of doesn't care. He always makes sure they are buckled, even to go three doors down, he's super strict about that but doesn't care about latch, anchors, any of that.
This particular van the seat belts don't even fit adults well. They are set high and back so it's a terrible fit outboard for a booster kid. There is one offset tether and anchor in the 3rd row so FF seats don't really work there if I want to get 3 across.
Husband decided last night just as I'm going to spend $120 on 3 new seats that he cares. He Googled and kept making car seat suggestions and has decided he doesn't like the way I've chosen to set things up or the seats I've chosen. He suddenly suggests we should get 3 Radians. After telling me to go easy on the spending he wants to go from $120 to $600-$900? With 3 Radians he wants girls in back outboard, booster boy in middle, skip infant seat and use 3rd Radian 2nd row. I tried explaining about anchors and why I can't put the FF girls back there but he is insisting they will all be crammed in there like sardines anyway, they aren't going anywhere. And now he's refusing to put the RF infant back there. He finally decided, after my much insisting, that he doesn't care what seats or where I put the other kids but the infant has to be in the 2nd row. I tried explaining that we could just put the baby in through the back over the seat and he says it's too annoying and baby has to be 2nd row no matter what.
So now I'm down to deciding which kid gets to be less safe.
A FF seat outboard not anchored, Bubblebum in middle then Amp Outboard
Or booster my barely 5 year old, not quite 40lbs in an Amp outboard, Bubble Bum, 2nd Amp outboard.
Oh yeah, and never having seen it in person he hates the Bubble Bum and says it looks super uncomfortable and not a long term solution so he wants me to find a different seat.
I have tried explaining why anchors are important, proper belt fit on boosters, etc but he doesn't seemed fazed by any of that. As long as baby is 2nd row, no matter what, then he doesnt care.
Sorry for the long rant. I hate my van.

ADS

momtoo3

Can you point out to him that by having the baby next to the 9 yr old in the 3rd row, the 9 year old can help?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lgenne

How big is the 3 year old? If small enough she could rear face outboard 3rd row in a Cosco Scenera NEXT. Not sure if your husband would consider that a better option, of course, but it would at least avoid untethered forward facing harnessed kids, and not force the 5 year old into a booster.

Also: Radians don't work center 3rd row, and don't work for newborns in the 2nd row, because they can't recline enough.

MamaChirpy

I don't have this van so I'm trying to remember from threads I've read. I'm so sorry if this suggestion is dumb.....

Could you put a SureRide or a Britax Marathon or a Graco MyRide on the third row for your 3 year old? That way she could use the tether anchor that's back there. A seat that sits high up on a skinny base might allow it to puzzle with the boosters?

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

lgenne

A Sureride in the center with 2 high back Amps outboard works back there. It means putting a 9 year old in a high back booster, but it does work, and is decently roomy for booster buckling.

MamaChirpy

A Sureride in the center with 2 high back Amps outboard works back there. It means putting a 9 year old in a high back booster, but it does work, and is decently roomy for booster buckling.

The Amp doesn't convert to backless? Or the outboard belt fit is no good for a backless?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
FYI Radians are also incompatible in the third row.

Not to mention wouldn't solve the lack of tether anchors.

If he's willing to spend money, Clek Fllos and aftermarket tether anchors outboard might be more helpful.

brooksfamily

I have no suggestions...our old daycare provider has this car and i tried to explain to her numerous times that she should put my dd's rf seat back there because it didn't need a tether. I provided the carseat, installed it in her car and insisted my daughter remain rf. All other kids she cared for are turned forward at one and move to a backless booster at 4. But she wanted the rf seats in the second row for ease of bucking. So the 3rd row was always full of untethered ff seats or backless booster...i.e. kids with a poor belt fit. So I feel you on the frustration of people choosing convenience over safety, and not truly understanding that is what they are doing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC