Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

HBB for 3rd row outboard in '16 Odyssey

My 7yo needs a high back booster that works in the 3rd row outboard position of a '16 Odyssey (which I believe is the same for models since 2011). I brought home a Turbobooster LX today, and it's not a perfect fit as far as no gaps between the seatback and the booster back. I can take pictures later, if necessary. I have tried removing that headrest, and it's maybe a bit better that way, except the very top of the vehicle. seatback isn't against the booster back, which makes the unsupported head rest of the booster feel particularly floppy to me. I feel more comfortable with the vehicle headrest installed and that very slight gap that causes between the headrest and torso of the booster.

Does anyone know of a latchable booster that would fit any better there? Does anyone use a Turbobooster LX there, and do you find the gap acceptable? She was briefly in an older Recaro booster there (Vivo), but it's expired. I wish they had a new booster that was similar for smaller kids (she's only 41 pounds) and was latchable. The new Recaros all look much wider. Our family is about to be 7 people, and I'd ideally like to leave enough room that we can carry one extra person in the car if needed.
    Mom to: dd 17yo
    dd 14yo
    ds 11yo in Recaro Vivo
    dd 7yo in Graco Nautilus
    and newbie coming mid-2017

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: HBB for 3rd row outboard in '16 Odyssey

I've put my 8yo in the third row of our Odyssey on occasion in a Turbobooster XL, but only after removing the car head rest. (We actually remove the car head rest on the captain's chair where she usually sits too because I think the booster fits better that way.) I guess I'd have to look at it again in that position, but I don't remember the fit being a problem. I think our Odyssey is a 2014.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

4. Thank You from:

Here are some pics with headrest on and off (for the "off" picture, I just have it turned around at this point, so it's not in play). It was hard to get a good angle to show the spacing. Which is better, or would a different seat entirely be better?

IMG_6983.jpg

IMG_6982.jpg

IMG_6984.jpg

What's hard to see is that in the first two pictures, while there's less space behind the booster, it's not touching the seat at the top, and just feels generally floppy to me. The headrest on picture has a bigger gap, yet it feels more secured because it's supported. I'm concerned that gap could cause an issue with the seat being more likely to snap there, though.
    dd 14yo
    ds 11yo in Recaro Vivo
    dd 7yo in Graco Nautilus

These are taken without a kid in the sear, right? The small gap without the head rest very could well disappear when the kid is sitting in the seat.

Even if it doesn't, I'd probably be OK with the space, although I'll defer to a tech for an official response.

That said, if a manufacturer says their seat is safe to use without headrest support, my understanding is that it has been tested in that configuration and there is not a risk of it breaking.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

She tried it yesterday, and was very uncomfortable, unfortunately. Said she felt like there was nothing behind her shoulders. I think I'm going to return and try using her Nautilus in booster mode instead. Our (very expired) Recaro Vivo fits great there and is comfortable, I just wish they still made a similar seat (I do prefer the more open belt path on the TB--she has some trouble not letting the belt bunch in the Vivo).

Unfortunately, I used the Target trade in coupon to buy the TB, and I don't know if there's any way to transfer that to a new seat if i return, I'm guessing not.
    dd 14yo
    ds 11yo in Recaro Vivo
    dd 7yo in Graco Nautilus