Question 2008 Odyssey, 4-seat question

U

Unregistered

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help. I've been reading threads here and on the Odyssey club forum too, and have yet to find a really great answer--here's hoping this hasn't been asked before (and I just missed it).

I have an 11yo and a 9yo in harnessed britax pinnacles, which is great. My 2yo is RF in a chicco nextfit, in the passenger captains chair (pushed to the middle), next to the 9yo. 11yo is by himself in the third row. I'm due any minute, and just spent 2 hours messing with car seats in an attempt to install the keyfit I'll be using with the new baby.

I put the keyfit in the 2nd row passenger captains chair (in the middle), and left the pinnacle where it was in the 2nd row drivers side captains chair. So far so good. Now for the problem: I'd like to keep the 2yo RF (in the nextfit), but the 11yo needs to get to his seat too, and I don't think he can squeeze under the RF nextfit all the time. So I put the RF nextfit in the center 3rd row and the 11yo's pinnacle in the passenger position.

The install on the nextfit is completely unacceptable and I'm contemplating turning the 2yo FF so I can strap him in from the passenger sliding door while still letting the 11yo past the seat to get to his. But 2yo JUST had his birthday and I really do not want to turn him. I also have these handy older kids and I intend to use them for baby/toddler entertainment in the car (we live way out in the country so every trip is a long one), so to me both babies in the 2nd row is a no-go.

Does anyone have any awesome, earth-shattering ideas for me? The keyfit is like new from the 2yo and the nextfit is even newer so I really don't want to buy something else. Is this possible?? Thank you!!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A few questions: Do your older children have special needs? Are they still fitting with shoulders under the top slots? It's unusual for 9 and 11 year olds to fit, or for children that age to need a harness unless they have special medical needs. I want to make sure they do before recommending.

What about moving the second row seat back outboard, putting 2 year old in one, and having 11 year old climb back through the center, then lifting the bucket back to click in the base in back?

If you would consider boostering one or both of the older children, things become even easier.

U

Unregistered

Thank you for the reply! Yes definitely it gets easier if I'm willing to boost them. Nobody has special needs but we live on the Highway of Death (mom of 2 just lost her life on our corner, her 7yo apparently still in a coma, a few weeks ago--this is not an exaggeration), and they still fit ht/wt into the Pinnacles. Am I being ridiculous? I could switch them to hbb but since they still meet the requirements for the 5-pt...

I like your idea for snapping the bucket in thru the center. What I've done for now, and we'll see how it goes after #4 joins the party, is ive moved the RF nextfit to drivers outboard in the third row. I discovered I can fold the passenger captains chair (2nd row, pushed to middle) forward with the bucket base installed, so that ought to give me enough access to strap in 2yo while the new baby waits in his bucket. This might work, at least until we outgrow the bucket.

I'm interested in whether I've pushed it too far with the 5-pt on the 9 and 11yos....

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There's not a lot of data but there is a school of thought that at some point it is better for older children to use a booster because of neck loading. That's largely speculation at this point though.

However, I can tell you that we have a LOT of data showing that children that old are VERY safe in boosters. If they still fit with shoulders under the top slots (not just by stated height/weight limits) they should fit in high backed boosters, if that makes you feel better- and that may allow you more flexibility as far as moving forward a second row seat or something if needed, especially once the baby moves to a convertible.

Your 11 year old is likely within a year or two of fitting the belt without anything at all (10-12 for most kids to pass the 5-Step Test- even my small torsoed, smallish eldest daughter passed in the second row of our Ody, which is a very difficult spot as far as fit, by 12 years and 7 months.) So you won't have to deal with the shuffle for too much longer. :)

lpperry

I agree with what ketchupqueen said about it being very safe to booster older children. I would get low back boosters for the 11 and 9 year old. I like the harmony boosters that are $13 from Walmart. Those are my favorites!! I booster at 6 and my 6 and 8 year old are in high back boosters but for nicely in low back boosters and use them in dad, grandma, carpool cars. My 8 year old will definitely be transitioning to a low back full time by next year when he is 9. I'd also check the 11 year old bc he/she may 5 step and not need a booster. Remember that booster keeps belt in position, so don't use a booster just to use it. Sometimes the belt fit is better without the booster!

Can you put the two rearfacers side by side in second row and but the 2 booster kids in the back? I have a 2012 oddy and 4 kids and that's what we do. Then we have the passenger seat that slides forward so the kids can get to the back.

If they don't fit side by side, this is what I used to do when I wanted 3 kids in the second row. 1 ff on passenger side, rf in middle, from on other side. Harnessed kid that could buckle himself in the back. Harnessed kid in back got in and out through the hatch. It was awesome. Your 9 year old could totally do that. 11 year old-it's harder but doable!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MommyShannon

I have 4 kids and an '06 Ody, same model basically. I was able to put both by rearfacers in the 2nd row and older ones in the 3rd. I would not turn a 2 year old! I constantly changed our set up though since my kids were newborn, 2 year old, 4.5, and 7 so I needed to also help the 4 year old buckle/unbuckle his harness. At times, I put one rearfacer in the 3rd row and loaded through the trunk or had her climb into her seat and buckled through the trunk. I'm short, but could kneel on the back bumper area and reach to buckle her. You could try the Keyfit outboard, 3rd row, passenger side behind he aisle, so a child could get in before you snap in the Keyfit, but I think the Keyfit might be too wide to squeeze in and out. You might consider getting a different convertible car seat for the 2 year old that fits better. You'll likely need one in 6-8 months for the baby anyhow and it might help your options now. That would let you put the 2 year old in the 3rd row rearfacing, outboard, driver's side. In bad weather you can go back there to buckle or buckle through the trunk normally. Your big kids can help with buckling and you just check it too.

MommyShannon

I see you only tried the Nextfit in the center 3rd row. I'd try outboard. We always live rural too, so I get the concern for accidents and needing to entertain them. My 11 and 9 year olds outgrew Frontiers (similar shoulder height as Pinnacle) quite a bit ago. My 11 year old 5 steps and just uses the seatbelt. It was hard for me to adjust to that, but I appreciate the side curtain airbags in the van. My 9 year old only fits with the Incognito booster now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC