Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

pre-school car seats.

The school provides transportation for the kids in vehicles with carseats. Which is good. But my consern was that i have no idea when the carseats were manufactured. You can not adjust the straps while the seats are installed... So... The straps are so loose to accommodate for bigger kids.
    I suppose my question to you is; do you know when Graco stopped using rear strap adjusters for forward facing seats?
    Im hoping i can find a solution without raising <bleeped> with the school. Lol its only my son's second day.
    Last edited by Jeanum; 04-18-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: bleeped by moderator to keep it family friendly

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic
    I would start by asking the transportation company for the name and dates of manufacture and expiration for the seats. I'm guessing they are expired but I'm not sure. Can you provide a seat for your son? He should not ride in those seats again assuming the straps are too loose.

Unregistered

Re: pre-school car seats.

Unfortunately i cannot provide my own. I dont have the money to essentially donate a seat. Which if i wasnt an unemployed stay at home mom id do just that. Id find a way to replace all of the seats they are currently using. Im curios as to why other parents/teachers/staff haven't noticed that its even issue.
    Its going to eat at me until i figure this out. Not just for my son but for the other children as well.

CPS Technician

My guess is that they are old Graco Cargos. The rear adjust was horrid, though I rather liked it with front adjust. It has a 40# harness limit.

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

Do you have a local Safe Kids chapter? Or local hospital with an injury prevention group? If so, perhaps you can enlist their help in evaluating the seats/usage and they might even have resources to assist the school in replacing them.
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

Carseat Crazy

I see this a lot at my school. We have a Title 1 pre-k and Pre-k AU class, plus a self-contained K class. Most of these kids are brought to school with private transportation companies, which the school district contracts with.

Last year it was what you are describing, very obviously expired seats with harnesses not adjusted correctly. This year they have all the kids riding in LBB regardless of age (some kids are 3) and/or weight. I asked my principal and he told me to leave it be, and this year I've been given a different duty so I don't have carpool duty anymore.

My suggestion would be the same as above. Look for a local group who can support you.