Ride Safer Vest

Angie

So, let me make sure I have this correct...

My daughter, who is almost 4, 40 pounds, 41" can use this in a rental car for a week and it's just as safe as bringing her SecureKid along? We are flying Southwest and then renting a car.

There's got to be some cons to this vest...it seems too good to be true. :) I need the low down on this vest... :)

I should also mention she has a mediport in her right upper chest. So if the vest somehow puts undue pressure there, it would not work.

Last edited:
ADS

Dillipop

Yes....

However, the vest does require some personal responsibility, imo. It's more restrictive than just sitting in a booster but not as restrictive as sitting in a properly tightened harness. I prefer to have my kids in an actual harness seat until age 5ish but would make an exception for the vest if the ride was short and while traveling.

How long are the rides in the rental car? What is your plan for on the place? The lap belt doesn't necessarily fit kids under 4-5 years of age on a plane.

We used the RSTV last summer for my kids who were 5.5 and almost 10 when we flew cross country. They were a great choice for our family while traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angie

Plane plans were just for the lap belt. I did read they work ok at 40 pounds...is that not right?

Rental car rides would be 45 minutes at most.

The only doubts I have is that she still does sleep in the car sometimes. Not nearly as often as she used to, but still often enough that I'm thinking this trip may not be the best time to switch to a vest. I just hate carrying her seat so much! Last trip I bought a GoGoKids cart because those are supposed to be able to stay on the carseat when you put it in the airline seat...but I tried that last time and the whole thing was "suspended" above the seat. Is that how it's supposed to be? If I could figure out how to leave the cart on for the plane I may not hate bringing her seat as much. ETA: The wheels part of the cart/seat sit in the back crack of the seat, like it should, but the front suspends over the seat by maybe 2 inches.

Last edited:

ntrenary

We just got back from vacation with the RSTV. My son is 9, so older, but I used it when he was 4 as a extra seat for grandmas car and it worked fine. The con is that is takes longer to put the vest on, buckle the seat belt, then thread the belt through the guides, but not having to drag a booster through the airport made it worth the extra time it took to buckle up.
I'm not sure if it would be ok with a port, it will put some pressure on it but shouldn't be tight. It's mostly tight around the abdomen but even that doesn't need to be tight, the vest is mainly to hold the seat belt in the right position.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We used it for a week for a 4 year old and it worked great.

Plane belt fit varies by child build and plane. The belts on Alaska go tiny; fit my petite build lanky 32 lb kid fine.

The belts on United fit my husky built 35 lb 3 year old, barely, but didn't fit my 45 lb lanky tall 7 year old on the same trip.

Angie

We used it for a week for a 4 year old and it worked great.

Plane belt fit varies by child build and plane. The belts on Alaska go tiny; fit my petite build lanky 32 lb kid fine.

The belts on United fit my husky built 35 lb 3 year old, barely, but didn't fit my 45 lb lanky tall 7 year old on the same trip.

Then what did you do for the one it didn't fit? What was your backup plan?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I didn't have one. She was 7 1/2 and over 40 lbs, I had no idea there was a chance of not fitting. She rode in a belt that didn't fit (I could pull it away from her body at least 5 inches) and we prayed the flight would be uneventful. :(

Angie

I know this sounds like a ridiculous question, and I would never do this in a car but... can you twist the belt on a plane to make it smaller and fit, in a pinch?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They are so long it wouldn't have helped enough. If I'd had a belt shortening clip I might have used it though it isn't approved. But I didn't. She was a nervous wreck both 5 hour flights and so was I.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC