3 year old son can loosen his carseat straps

bonahm1

Help! My 3 year old has learned how to loosen his car seat straps. We have tried every thing under the sun including purchasing a new car seat and he figured out how to loosen the new one. Any recommendations for carseats to try? He is 42 pounds.

ADS

LilSweetie785

How is he loosening it?
If I had to guess, he's doing what my son did. At a certain age they can reach down and pull on the lift to loosen the straps. I still struggle with trying to get DS to leave it alone at times. Thankfully he hasn't done it lately and I can easily see him in my rear view mirror. The other two kids are pretty good about telling me when he does it as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

lgenne

Which car seats has he managed to do it in? Off the top of my head, the Britax combination seats are super hard to reach to loosen the harness. There are probably cheaper options, too. Making his straps tighter in the first place might also make it harder for him to reach the adjuster release.

Outside the box suggestion: a Graco Extend2Fit would accommodate him rear facing for a long time. If you adjust it correctly before you install it, then install it with the harness adjuster strap caught between the seat back and the leg extension panel, he won't actually be able to loosen it. Which might deter him from messing with it (even if he can reach it) but could be dangerous if he continued to mess with it anyway. You wouldn't want it in the open position during a collision.

LilSweetie785

Which car seats has he managed to do it in? Off the top of my head, the Britax combination seats are super hard to reach to loosen the harness. There are probably cheaper options, too. Making his straps tighter in the first place might also make it harder for him to reach the adjuster release.

Outside the box suggestion: a Graco Extend2Fit would accommodate him rear facing for a long time. If you adjust it correctly before you install it, then install it with the harness adjuster strap caught between the seat back and the leg extension panel, he won't actually be able to loosen it. Which might deter him from messing with it (even if he can reach it) but could be dangerous if he continued to mess with it anyway. You wouldn't want it in the open position during a collision.
Any suggestions for a 52lb. 7yo? I have him in the KidsEmbrace Ninja Turtle Toddler Seat still using the 5-point harness. It harnesses to 65lbs. and 49in. We rf until around 4-5yo when he got too tall for his Evenflo Triumph LX. Would like to keep him in a 5-point harness as long as possible.

lgenne

Any suggestions for a 52lb. 7yo? I have him in the KidsEmbrace Ninja Turtle Toddler Seat still using the 5-point harness. It harnesses to 65lbs. and 49in. We rf until around 4-5yo when he got too tall for his Evenflo Triumph LX. Would like to keep him in a 5-point harness as long as possible.

Budget? At that age/size, I would (a) take a hard look at boostering (maybe giving him more control will make him less likely to try to break rules?) or (b) look at the Evenflo Sureride and the Britax combination seats. I'm pretty sure my 5 year old can't reach the release for the harness adjuster in the Sureride.

LilSweetie785

Budget? At that age/size, I would (a) take a hard look at boostering (maybe giving him more control will make him less likely to try to break rules?) or (b) look at the Evenflo Sureride and the Britax combination seats. I'm pretty sure my 5 year old can't reach the release for the harness adjuster in the Sureride.
I've been contemplating changing him to a seatbelt in his KidsEmbrace since his harness needs to be moved up to the highest slot now I'm just worried that he'll move around more in the seat belt vs. the harness. The main reason he does it is to pickup things he drops and sometimes he says it hurts (he has covers on the harness for his neck).

I guess I'll try taking the harness out and using it as a highback booster. I think I'm not ready for that more than anything. Lol I got in my first minor accident this week. A deer ran in front of the van in a neighborhood. Hit it going about 35-40. All damage sustained was limited to the grill and headlights.

I extended rf with him. The older two JUST got out of their harnesses last year so he'd only be a year earlier. If it doesn't work out I will probably check out the Britax and Sureride. Thanks for the input and suggestions!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC