Question Back seat child safety locks-- do you use them?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I've never used the child safety locks in my vehicle. When the kids were babies they certainly couldn't reach the door handle and, until now, my kids have always been rear-facing and so I don't think they can reach it -- or if they can, they have never done it. I didn't even really realize that the car had them.

Until today. When I hopped into the back seat to give my daughter a beverage and got trapped there.

After the whole experience was over, I thought about writing a blog post about it and started to do some research about how many adults get trapped in their back seats by their own child safety locks like I did.

What I found was that my experience must have been fairly uncommon, because nobody else seems to think it is dangerous to have your vehicle door be completely locked from the outside. Instead, there was lots of discussion about what age is appropriate to turn *off* the child safety locks. Many parents were discussing the appropriate age as being 5, 7, or even 10 years old, despite the fact that their child thought that they were responsible enough to go without them.

Is this the norm? Is using the child safety locks on the car part of the standard child protection toolbox? I assumed it was only for behavioral issues where the child was old enough to be able to reach the handle but not mature enough to leave it alone.

I ask because I was going to write up a little PSA and post it online to warn people about the dangers of getting trapped by a child safety lock and provide tips for how to get out if you find yourself trapped. But my #1 tip was going to be to avoid activating the child safety locks unless your child actually needs them. Is this irresponsible of me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

flutie128

I don't think we've ever used them though we tend to lock the car once we are in it. We've taught our kids not to open the door unless the car is stopped. I drive a van with automatic sliding doors and those won't open unless the car is in park. There are still safety locks on them I think.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I used them on the kid that liked to try to open the door while driving. I mean that's what they're there to prevent so... Other kids have not needed that because they listen better lol.

babyherder

I use them. I can't fit in my back seat right now (3 across) and would climb back into the front to get out if needed. Annoying and a squishy climb if necessary but doable. My oldest nanny girl was the type to try to open the car door whenever. Now that they're older I'm more worried about them hitting another car in a parking lot while opening the door.

Keeyamah

I don't intentionally use them, meaning if they are on when I have a particular vehicle, then they are. When I got my van, they were off and I haven't turned them on. My boys are 7.5 and 4.5 and are pretty good about not even unbuckling until the car is off (did have to have a talking with the booster training younger one, hence why his Radian is installed in the third row).

But I've never been trapped by them either, as I just climbed into the front to get out. If necessary, it is possible for some people to reach the seat adjusters and lay a front seat down pretty far to get out of the back.

MamaChirpy

I never use them and always make sure they are off when I get a new vehicle. I have a fear of needing to crawl to the back to get my kids out and being trapped in the car.

momtoo3

With my older two they were very necessary. Ds1 opened the door twice before I even knew the car had them. Once engaged all was good until I moved his seat to the other side and forgot all about the child locks. He opened that side while on the highway. Thankfully it didn't open all the way and the door ajar light came on. Ds2 was a wild one and hated being strapped down. He managed to open the door before I backed out of the driveway in a tantrum and from there on out the lock was on. Ds3 was laid back and as far as I know never tried to open the door. He was also the first of my kids to ERF so rf may have played a part in it. Dd is 2.5, small for her age and rf so has no way to reach the handle. She will definitely require the child locks when she turns ff though. I had totally forgot about them (I have 6 years between my youngest two) so this post was a great reminder. Dd is a more difficult child than all three of my boys put together. She doesn't ever stop, can be very destructive, and isn't one to learn from being told, rewards or taking stuff away....she does her own thing with no fear and just doesn't care.

So probably not what you were looking for but better advice than not to use the child locks would be to use something as a reminder that they are engaged...maybe a sticker on the window or on the inner door near the handle that you would notice when you went to close it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Brianna

I don't see any reason I wouldn't use them if I had kids, and I did use them for a 2&4 year old I used to drive. Maybe it's just because I've never been in the situation- but how would you get stuck in the back seat? Couldn't you just climb into the front seat?

Another thought- for people without sliding doors, child locks are awesome for kids who are prone to opening the door into another car in parking lots.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't see any reason I wouldn't use them if I had kids, and I did use them for a 2&4 year old I used to drive. Maybe it's just because I've never been in the situation- but how would you get stuck in the back seat? Couldn't you just climb into the front seat?

Another thought- for people without sliding doors, child locks are awesome for kids who are prone to opening the door into another car in parking lots.

I know it sounds pretty silly. We were in a parking lot and I jumped in the back seat to give my daughter a beverage before we went to our next destination. Since it was really windy I shut the door and then when she spilled the beverage on herself I went to jump out of the car to get a paper towel and found myself trapped. Because her RF seat was in the middle, I couldn't squeeze past it to get into the front seat. Maybe if I had uninstalled it and turned it on it's side...anyway, I have a plan for next time if it ever happens again. I will remove the headrest of the front passenger seat and lean over into the front to turn on the car so that I can open the window and then reach outside to open the door.

featherhead

I know it sounds pretty silly. We were in a parking lot and I jumped in the back seat to give my daughter a beverage before we went to our next destination. Since it was really windy I shut the door and then when she spilled the beverage on herself I went to jump out of the car to get a paper towel and found myself trapped. Because her RF seat was in the middle, I couldn't squeeze past it to get into the front seat. Maybe if I had uninstalled it and turned it on it's side...anyway, I have a plan for next time if it ever happens again. I will remove the headrest of the front passenger seat and lean over into the front to turn on the car so that I can open the window and then reach outside to open the door.

Another idea, if you have a somewhat older child you can trust, let them wiggle their way to the front, climb out and open the door for you.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L05 using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC