Traveling via flight across country with 5 y/o and 8 y/o

landers2929

Hi,

We are flying across the country to visit our in-laws for a week in a few weeks. We will be traveling by car/truck (likely Dodge 250 Turbo diesel) when we get there. My kids dimensions are as below. They are both 50 lbs, so my understanding is that they don't need a car seat/booster, is that correct? Someone also mentioned to me that above 40 lbs they are not allowed to use a booster on the plane? (does securekid qualify as booster or combination seat?) What I'm wondering, is how to get a proper car seat or two to the destination if we can't bring it on board. They are both currently using Securekids, harnessed. I do not have the original boxes for the Securekids. I have been told that either normal checking or gate checking the Securekids is dangerous for the car seats and can damage them. Is that true? Is there another option for sending them there? Or do I buy one or two new car seats and just have them directly shipped to the destination.

My understanding is that they might be ready, at least the older one for non-harnessed. Note, the 8 yr old falls asleep frequently on car rides.

Thank you!
DS1, 8, 49.5in, 50lbs, Torso height 17 in, in GA and Evenflo Securekid
DS2, 5, 44.5in, 50 lbs, Torso height 16.5 in BB and Evenflo Securekid

Last edited:
ADS

lgenne

They don't need a car seat on the plane; they do at the destination.

Harnessed seats are always allowed (assuming they fit); belt positioning boosters are never allowed, regardless of the child's weight.

You can take both seats on the plane and use them on the flight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC