Question Order of arrangement of seats according to age?

lilti9er

It's been a while since I've been on here and for some reason, the app isn't working on my android phone.

So I forgot if it makes a difference where babies are positioned in the car when you have 2 or more children. Should the baby still be in the center or is that not entirely necessary?

I have a 2010 Lexus RX450h. I currently have 5yo DD in a Britax Frontier on the center position via seatbelt installation. We will be welcoming our 2nd baby in Aug/Sept and in this car, I plan on putting him behind the driver seat in a Nuna Pipa. This is b/c DD always reads in the car and she can easily turn on/off the overhead dome lights. I think she'll be too small to reach the lights if she were moved to an outboard position. From her 5yo appt in Feb, she was only 40-3/4" tall and 41 lbs. Would it be okay to keep her in the center and have DS in the outboard position? When I'm in this car, I'm usually alone so I'd like to be able to easily dock the carseat on the base without hurting my back too much.

DH has a 2009 Honda Pilot and his car isn't as dark as mine so DD won't be needing to turn on the dome lights to read in his car. I plan on buying her a Britax Frontier for his car and moving her to an outboard seat and put DS in the center with a Chicco KeyFit 30 so I could easily tend to him if needed; I always sit in the back when there's a baby back there. DD currently has a Chicco NextFit installed in the center and she technically still fits in it so I'm in no rush to actually buy her a new seat but we will definitely do that once DS is almost outgrowing the KeyFit. This configuration is fine, right?

TIA, Nancy.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Both configurations are fine. Your Lexus' configuration is ideal. The less safe child (the forward facer) is in the center (the more protected position). That's the ideal, though. As you're finding, real life gets in the way, and so when you want to sit in the back it doesn't make sense to have the baby on the far side, so you put the baby in the middle in that car.

Wendy

lilti9er

Awesome, that's what I had thought but DH asked shouldn't DS go in the center and made me second guess myself. Thank you Wendy!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC