Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Easy-open car seat?

Hi,

I'm looking for a good carseat that my mom can use (for a 31 pound kid). She has arthritis in her hands, so I'm looking for one with a latch that's pretty easy to open. Bonus points if it's narrow enough to fit between 2 other carseats in the backseat of my Subaru Outback! (Though that would have to be pretty darn narrow).

Any tips appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Easy-open car seat?

How old and tall is your 31 pound child? And what seats will it be going between? Are they forward or rear facing?

What year is the Subaru? Newer models are much wider.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I'm sure Wendy's questions will help you get good advice; I wanted to mention the Buckle Bopper which was designed to help caregivers with arthritis or decreased hand strength open car seat buckles.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 13, Bridget, 11, Maggie, 9, Katie Sue, 4
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Unregistered

Thanks for the tip about the Buckle Bopper! As for trying to fit 3 across, I'm failing miserably. I have a 2010 Subaru Outback, and we have a Graco Size4Me and a Britix high-back booster; I tried the Graco SlimFit between them (thinking that it might be slim, and fit) but it was nowhere close. I ended up buying another Graco (I think the Extend2Fit) and just resigning myself to never taking the 3 kids anywhere at the same time. Not a good long-term solution. . .

Carseat Crazy

I drive a 2011 Outback and have had success 3 across with a Graco Tranzitions, Diono, and a Britax either marathon or boulevard. The diono had to go in the middle, despite it needing to be rf and so was the britax. When I tried the tranzitions in the middle it did not work.