Britax Tether Strap Accessory

rgraves

I have a Britax Frontier and a 2013 Grand Caravan. I live in Canada.

I need to fit two forward facing seats in the 3rd row which only has one tether anchor in the centre. That makes fitting two seats very tight. A friend mentioned Britax has a tether strap accessory which you can attach to your seat and then attach the tether strap from the car seat. I believe it is this one:

https://us.britax.com/parts/d-ring-connector-strap-s807600

Has anyone had experience with these and know if they work well?

ADS

Dillipop

Those are only for the Britax convertible seats that allow their use and only when readfacing.

Unfortunately, your van can only accommodate 1 forward facing harnesses seat in the third row.

How old and big (weight/height) are the children you are trying to fit in the vehicle? What seats and orientation are you working with?

We can help you come up with a plan that will work for you in your van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgraves

We are expecting our 4th child soon.

Two older kids I'd like to put in the third row:

6yr old (approx 45lbs) - currently using a Britax Frontier CT
3yr old (approx 30lbs) - currently using a Britax Boulevard 65

Both of these seats would be forward facing.

In the second row, I'd like to put our younger kids:

21 month old (approx 25lbs)
Newborn

Both of these seats would be rear facing for until 2yrs old.

Not sure on any of their heights offhand. It's a bit tight to get in the third row with the younger two so I'd like the older two back there.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You could move your 6 year old to a high backed booster in the third row. Unfortunately I'm not sure it would work next to the seat your 3 year old is in. You might need to get a different seat to make that work though it's worth a try.

Another option might be to stow or remove one of the second row seats, put one forward facing child there, and the two rear facing children (ideally children can and should rear face past 2 years old, so keep 2 year old rear facing and this works longer) in the third row along with eldest in either a harness or booster, whatever fits- but you'd need narrow seats that fit around each other for that to work.

rgraves

Thanks. Fitting three in the back would be tight and very difficult for us to get the younger kids in. Plus it will only work until the younger kids are forward facing and then we'll be in the same boat.

We really need to find a booster and if need be a front facing seat for our 3yr old. Anyone have suggestions for models that would work side by side in the third row? I really can't afford to buy another vehicle just to get an extra anchor.

lgenne

You should be able to install the 3 year old's car seat using the lower anchors in the 3rd row. They are offset, not exactly in the center. Then there will be plenty of room to buckle a passenger side booster.

rgraves

So if I put my forward facing car seat in the center for our 3 year old, does anyone know of a slim profile booster seat I can put next to it for our 6yr old? I've seen a few in the store that look slim, but when I put it next to the car seat, it won't fit.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are fairly limited options for that third row spot because only some high backed boosters work there. And as mentioned your 3 year old has a wider seat.

The Graco TurboBooster is slim and works ok but not great- be prepared to have to rethread/unstick the shoulder belt fairly frequently. There are others that work better but aren't as slim.

rgraves

Thanks for the replies.

I will be looking into the following booster seats based on this thread and other discussions I've had:

Harmony Dreamtime
EvenFlo Big Kid
Graco Turbo booster

Depending on how those fit with our existing car seats, I may need to look into a thinner profile car seat for our 3yr old.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC