Car seat for an RV in California

Jeanine

Hello! I am from the Netherlands and I am planning a trip trough South West America including California with my boyfriend and daughter from 1,5 year. We would like te travel by RV. I have read about the new rules for child passenger safety in California. More specific about rear-facing transportation.

In the back seats of the RV are only lap belts. Are there car seats which can be installed with an lap belt and are rear facing? And if not, are there car seats which can be installed with a normal belt, rear facing and with a lap belt, forward facing? In the last situation we will transport our daughter at the front seat in California (airbag switched off) and in the other states at the seat in the back.

Maybe someone has an other solution?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

She should be rear facing in all vehicles, including your own at home. But there's no safe way to transport her in an RV. Nor transport you. The entire RV is a projectile. They're not safe vehicles.

I'd encourage you to use a rear facing seat, rent a truck, and tow a camper home. That will be safer and much easier. That way when you get where you're going you still have a truck to drive around while you leave the camper in your site.

All US seats can be installed with lower anchors, a three point belt, or a two point belt.

Is your seat a rear facing seat, and aircraft approved? If it is, please bring it on board so you can use it there and have her safe from turbulence and emergencies on board. Your arms and the plane's belt aren't enough to hold her.

Maybe someone could ship you a Cosco Scenera Next to use on board the plane, and in the truck on this end? It's an inexpensive lightweight seat that will rear face her well and is easy to install.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC